*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/602617-At-the-edge-of-tonight
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#602617 added August 20, 2008 at 12:10am
Restrictions: None
At the edge of tonight
At the edge of tonight

In the short short days of December
light flickers from the tv set,
the channel turned to the "Edge of Night",
dark drama I can't understand as a kid.

Over the plaza the sun is setting;
lights come on over rows of gifts;
they want to be bought, to be wrapped, unwrapped
to be put on somebody's shelf again.

At the edge of tonight I reminisce:
orange glow out west; sky, a midnight blue.
In the shortening days of November,
I'll play this tape over and over again.

© 2008 Kåre Enga [165.205] 2008-08-18

The "Edge of Night" was a television soap in the 60s that came on around 4:30 p.m. This was around sunset in winter where I grew up.

WEATHER I BE:


Well, it may be wet and windy down in Fickle Fay's country, but here it is smoky from fires in Idaho and very dry. Finally hit 100, broke the record and the hottest day this year.

Tomorrow there is a concern for dry thunderstorms (dry? In Kansas they were all wet; however, our local weatherman is from Kansas, so I'll believe ya, Mark. *Smirk*)

Then it may get cool and rainy. Just call us East Seattle, Montana.

ME:

I went missing for 3 days ... well, I knew where I was, but you-all didn't!

Roadtrip to camp out with a group of men for a health conference at Camp Mimanagish south of Big Timber. Over 300 miles and 5 hours east.

Up Boulder River and over Boulder Pass, we could've been in Yellowstone Park and then Wyoming. It got cold, very cold, the first night. The valley narrows and the river runs swift and frigid.

So ... I don't like camping with people I don't know ... which is why I did it. I need to stretch my comfort zone before I get too old.

I would say I had a fairly good time and even wrote a few poems.

I may write about it elsewhere.

Montana: 100º and 8% at 18:00.
7287

© Copyright 2008 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/602617-At-the-edge-of-tonight