*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/596660-Dreams-and-Secrets
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#596660 added July 15, 2008 at 5:03pm
Restrictions: None
Dreams and Secrets
Just using that title because it's also the title of a story I wrote. Or maybe it's more of a prologue, but I haven't written the rest yet.

I rarely remember my dreams, except maybe some snippets in the morning, and then later in the day something might remind me of more of the dream, but I've never mastered the technique of dream recall. That would involve me waking up earlier in order to write the dreams down before they slip away in the shower, and, well, that's part of the problem...

Another rare thing for me is to have recurring themes, when I do remember the dreams. Like one night it'll be a flying dream, the next night it might be the I-forgot-I-signed-up-for-this-class dream, and the next night something else entirely.

But I've noticed a trend, lately, in that whatever else I'm dreaming about (last night it was a building with uncertain flooring and a leaky roof), I'm always falling asleep in the dream.

So I fall asleep, I dream (and sometimes I know it's a dream), and within the dream, I lie down and fall asleep. I can't remember if I have dreams within the dreams, or further nesting of dream layers. But I can't help thinking that dreaming about going to sleep - repeatedly, night after night - might be something my subconscious is trying to tell me.

Let's see. Dreams are all about symbols. Sleep to me represents rest, peace and healing. It also represents dreams, if you want to get recursive about it, and even the dreams that are nightmares are entertaining, so there's an aspect of entertainment about it. Now, if my subconscious is trying to tell me I need all those things, there can be only one conclusion:

I am in dire, desperate need of a vacation.

Sadly, I'm not going to the beach until September.

Oh, the "Secrets" part of the title? Can't tell you, or it wouldn't be a secret anymore.

© Copyright 2008 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/596660-Dreams-and-Secrets