*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/594601-Quick-civics-lesson
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#594601 added July 4, 2008 at 1:40pm
Restrictions: None
Quick civics lesson
Every year on the Fourth of July, there's a naturalization ceremony just up the road from me at Monticello, home of Thomas Jefferson, one of those whose ideals shaped the US, and who died on a Fourth of July.

This year, the current President came and spoke at the ceremony.

Now, I'm as pissed off at the current administration and its policies as any other patriotic American, but there are some things that are Just Plain Rude:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,376402,00.html

(Excuse me for a moment while I wash my hands after providing a link from Faux News.)

(Okay, I'm back.)

"That man is a fascist!" one protester yelled. Another swore at him.

The protesters later were removed from the ceremony by law enforcement officials.

"To my fellow citizens to be — we believe in free speech in the United States of America," Bush said when the protesters started shouting.


Okay, here's the civics lesson:

1) Yes, we believe in free speech. But this is also the South, and we're supposed to be courteous down here. That means that when someone is talking, you let him talk, even if he's full of shit. You'll get your chance for rebuttal afterwards. (This actually applies especially when he's full of shit, because that gives him an opportunity to metaphorically hang himself and us an opportunity to smile faintly and say, "Well, bless his heart.")

2) The naturalization ceremony isn't about G.W. Bush. It's about the people who want to become citizens. I don't care if Bush or Bozo the Clown is speaking; if you can't respect the speaker, at least respect the audience. They wanted to become citizens. Maybe you want to become a citizen of Canada, and I'd bet you don't want protesters to ruin your naturalization ceremony. Many of the wannabe citizens probably dislike Bush as much as you do, but they're here because they know that in 7 months, someone else will become president, and in 4 months, they'll get to help make that choice.

And, finally,

3) Stop giving my hometown a bad name.

That is all.

© Copyright 2008 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/594601-Quick-civics-lesson