*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/591372-Having-a-Bad-Day
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#591372 added June 16, 2008 at 4:13pm
Restrictions: None
Having a Bad Day?
I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I'm having a real Monday. I've had to redo something I've been working on twice today. And a guy came in earlier with a bunch of ground shots he'd taken of a parking lot - elevations, that is. Survey data, only he's a contractor, not a surveyor. So I was wondering why some of the shots were off by over forty feet, until it hit me - he'd added where he should have subtracted.

And people wonder why shit gets built wrong.

Anyway, it turned out to be a bad case of Monday on the part of the contractor.

Still... anytime you're feeling like you're having the Monday from Hell (and I could make a case for Monday the 16th being far, far worse than Friday the 13th, by virtue of the fact that it's Monday), remember this chick, whose day started out bad, got worse, and ended up with her sitting in a closet drinking Corona.

I mean... it wasn't even real beer:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/youandme/story/389467.html

I decide the only way this day’s going to get any better is if I sit in the closet – which is the only room with light that doesn’t have a toilet in it – and get drunk.

So I drank the six-pack of Corona by myself in my closet, crying. With the squeezy lime juice, because I didn’t have the dishes or silverware yet to cut the lime with.


Sounds like what I'd do to cope. Except I would be drinking real beer, I wouldn't lament the lack of lime (because real beer doesn't need lime), and I wouldn't be crying. I'm just saying.

I suppose there's one way to have a worse Monday, but only if you live in certain parts of Iowa.

On a totally different subject, I bet you didn't know that D&D was actually invented by the Romans nearly 2000 years ago:

http://www.christies.com/Lotfinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=4205385&title=rd...

A ROMAN GLASS GAMING DIE
Circa 2nd Century A.D.
Deep blue-green in color, the large twenty-sided die incised with a distinct symbol on each of its faces
2 1/16 in. (5.2 cm.) wide


...

Several polyhedra in various materials with similar symbols are known from the Roman period. Modern scholarship has not yet established the game for which these dice were used.

Probably not actually Dungeons and Dragons, now that I think of it. More like "Battlements and Barbarians."

"Okay, Lucius, make a Dexterity roll. Oops, that's a fumble - your sandals slip and you pour the boiling oil all over your feet. Roll again - oh, no, you've just impaled yourself on your drusus. Better roll up a new character."

"Fine, I'm going to be a Visigoth this time."

"A Visigoth? Damn, you've got a lot of Gaul."

(Players pelt GameMaster with dice for making a pun no one will get for at least 1000 years. One rolls into a corner, only to be found by a history professor 1900 years later.)

Well, it might have happened that way.

© Copyright 2008 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/591372-Having-a-Bad-Day