*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/589997-halo-in-reverse
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1372191
Ohhhhhhhh.
#589997 added June 10, 2008 at 2:28am
Restrictions: None
halo in reverse
The pastor at my parents' church likes to refer to himself as "God's mouthpiece."

It's a loud church. People clap and cheer and fall down in the aisles when they catch the spirit, or when the pastor says something profound.

This one time, he was in the middle of saying something profound. Ever seen a Southern Baptist preacher really get going? He was doing that, sweating, jabbing his finger at the air, telling us Gawrud this and Gawrud that. People were clapping, whooping, cheering. Go, Gawrud, go!

He said, "Gawrud said, 'Get away from that serpent, Eve, that serpent is evil!' And by the way, did anyone ever notice that evil spelled backward is vile?"

Everyone went nuts. NUTS. Cheered and clapped as though he had just illuminated the most divine coincidence in the history of language. As though he had just announced that Gawrud Himself was going to make an appearance at the end of the sermon.

But, wait, thought I, up in a balcony pew, silent among the throng of hollering Baptists. Just a second.

"Evil spelled backward is vile"?

God's mouthpiece can't spell?

What the hell?

© Copyright 2008 mood indigo (UN: aquatoni85 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
mood indigo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/589997-halo-in-reverse