*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/589266-Price-of-being-poor
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#589266 added June 5, 2008 at 7:28pm
Restrictions: None
Price of being poor.
The price of being poor is more than not having the money. It is the lack of viable options.

"Our society demands that we feed our children so that they don't starve. Eating our children so WE don't starve is frowned upon."


Milk, eggs, gas. The essentials effect the poor in ways the the wealthy cannot imagine. It isn't about giving up a vacation. It's about being able to afford to get to the grocery store, much less purchase something.

Historically there were always "poor people's food". But what are the alternatives when those foods become expensive?

I will have to think about this some more. I'm a bit in shock over the price of Greyhound tickets. Two months ago I could afford to go coast to coast. Last Fall it was possible to do it on $109. Today? $183. It cost me $72 to go 1808 miles from E Kansas to W Montana. Now? $183. It's not just the percentage of the rise in costs; it's the doller amount. My income didn't go up; in fact, it went down so they could subtract for "health insurance". The difference for a round trip is over $200. So much for visiting Montana.

To move there I may just have to buy a car! And drive there! Hoping, of course, that I can find a place I can afford. Stay in a motel? Costs are $224-262/week at the lower end and Summer prices will hit very soon. There is one place ... but it is necessary to call at 11 a.m. the day of and hope.

So what are my options? A year ago I finally got income after being penniless for 3 years. Now, with income, I've been socked in the face. I'm not ready for the Senior Center with the barcolounger with build in portapotty. I thought travel ... now I must think again ...

Still want to move to Montana.

If you know someone on fixed income ... pray that the costs don't go higher. Folks are already in Depression at the lower economic end.

Kansas: grey skies and tornadoes to the west.
5427

© Copyright 2008 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/589266-Price-of-being-poor