*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/589006-the-last-thing-on-my-mind
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1372191
Ohhhhhhhh.
#589006 added June 4, 2008 at 12:28pm
Restrictions: None
the last thing on my mind
I had a God Bless America moment last night. I did. I teared up significantly when Obama took the stage, more so when his wife pounded him, the most understated congratulatory gesture in history.

I didn't think I would live to see this moment, and I'm only twenty-three.

I bought a bunch of different newspapers today. I'm going to show them to my kids, because I expect that, over the next twenty years, events will ensue to put a damper on the excitement of right now. He'll fuck up, if no more than anyone else; everyone will criticize and gloat and make thinly veiled assessments of the black man's inadequacy. If my kids grow up hearing that, that America temporarily lost its mind and elected someone who wasn't qualified, I'll be ready to counter it with tales of the fight and the excitement and the cross-country celebration.

*

I fell asleep a few minutes after the big moment. The last thing on my mind was, I hope I don't wake up tomorrow and find out some racist bastard shot him.

© Copyright 2008 mood indigo (UN: aquatoni85 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
mood indigo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/589006-the-last-thing-on-my-mind