*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/588612-Behold-the-mask-White-water-rafting
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#588612 added June 2, 2008 at 6:01pm
Restrictions: None
Behold the mask; White water rafting
Behold the mask

You jest!
Is this a face
you mask among petunia leaves?
I see these blue-green eyes,
the crinkled eyebrows looking right back through me.
They're sad and soft and lonesome,
teary by the end of day,
as folks walk by and never see them,
never gaze into their dark profundity.

© 2008 Kåre Enga [165.84] 2008-05-26

Based on Georgia O'Keeffe's "Black and purple petunias" 1925.
http://www.artst.org/okeefe/1925+-+Black+and+Purple+Petunias.jpg

I guess we all look at things in our own particular way. O'Keeffe portrayed flowers, in this case petunias, by looking up close, by seeing what she saw. There were no messages other than "this is a flower; this is what I see". So why do I see more? Because I'm not looking at the flowers! I'm looking at an oil on canvas and this is what I saw. *Smile* My name's not Georgia. *Confused* You may call me Kåre (and pronounce it Cory if you so wish *Bigsmile*).

WISDOM OF WDC

An on-line friend (if he wishes to be known he'll leave a note I hope!) sent me an e-mail that I believe merits a wider audience (I added the title). His eloquent metaphor of 'white water rafting' floored me:

White Water Rafting

Life is like white-water rafting, although I have never tried white-water rafting, but I can imagine. It never goes where you want to go. You will always get wet, no matter how hard you try to avoid it. No one can be really good at it, no matter how many times you have tried it. It is not the big scary rocks that usually harms you, but the unseen little pointy things under the water. And it is always downhill from the start!

*Laugh*

But regardless of all those, you will always get to your destination, and usually, everything balances itself out. So in the end, you will be wet, heart-pounding, scared half out of your wits, and giddy from all the excitement, and wished you had opened your eyes during the experience.

Well, my friend, now that you are in the middle of it, just open your eyes, and enjoy the
scary big rock that are just inches from you. Of course, I can hear your thoughts, "It is easy for you to say!"

But I am right behind you, with fist clutched, and eyes SHUT!

*Bigsmile*

ME:

Paid rent. I've made the decision to move by July 1st. I may not have the luxury of playing here at WDC as I'm a low energy person and that energy must go towards re-packing and moving ... again. I moved May 4th. I should consider myself blessed to have a place, but it is not that simple, of course. So I'll blog but may not get to all the e-mails and reading other people's blogs. I just may not have the time.

Kansas: 78 degrees and sunny after morning storms. ** Image ID #1329288 Unavailable **
5337

© Copyright 2008 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/588612-Behold-the-mask-White-water-rafting