*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/587800-Family-Foods-Daisy-a-short-OKeeffe-poem
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#587800 added May 29, 2008 at 1:43am
Restrictions: None
Family Foods? Daisy (a short O'Keeffe poem)
Wren got me thinking again. What food do you remember from growing up, especially those associated with family members who've passed on? I immediately think of liver and onions! And Wren asked why? So ... I called my mom (86 years young).

Mom (b. 1922) says dad (1916-1999) loved butter pecan ice cream (I remember maple walnut and a discussion about lemon ice cream).

About her own cooking: spaghetti and meatballs and Swedish meatballs (I know she loved fried cabbage ... and onions)

About her mom (1892-1985): potato pancakes with lima beans, and bread pudding (I remember split pea soup and fresh bread)

About her mom's mom: English plum pudding (... but she was German *Rolleyes*)

About her dad's mom: deep dish apple pie with only the crust on top (she was Irish/English)

About her dad (1890-1963): New England crab cakes and oyster stew

About dad's dad (1880-1955): any seafood (he grew up in Maryland)

Then my mom calls me back (only her second call this year *Rolleyes* to make sure I got everything correct! She did add that dad loved liver and onions ... so I'll stick with liver and onions as our "family dish". I guess I get to ask my aunt and sisters now.

SO, WHAT FOOD DO YOU ASSOCIATE WITH PEOPLE?

Insert answer here: ___________________________ (or leave a comment) *Smirk*

Daisy

In autumn,
the golden leavings of shadbark
and one bright sun,
her pristine skirt arranged to pluck:
do you love me,
do you not.

© 2008 Kåre Enga [165.85b] 2008-05-26

http://www.artst.org/okeefe/1928+-+Yellow+Hickory+Leaves+With+Daisy.jpg

ME:


I did nap last evening, then stayed up till 3 but I slept fairly well and today felt reasonably rested. Yesterday was awful; today much better.

Got to the Half-Price bookstore which had better pickings on O'Keeffe and a whole shelf on roses. I bought two books (with plenty of color plates) about O'Keeffe and got a book of poetry: Blossoms & Bones by Christopher Buckley that he published in 1988 based on poems of O'Keeffe.

I also got a book on the sculpture of the Norwegian born physician Kaare Nygaard. Since we share the first name (Kåre has an alternate spelling as Kaare; å = aa) I was curious. Set me back $10. Interestingly it appears to be signed by the artist in 1987 to a Donald Watkins. Hmmm.

Who was he?: http://www.whonamedit.com/doctor.cfm/2491.html

I found this image of one of his sculptures: (thank you, U. Melbourne, Aus.): http://www.lib.unimelb.edu.au/collections/grainger/exhibitions/viewing/Disk_One/...

WRITING:

I do often write about death and the passing of people. Since today, the 29th, is known by Baha'is as the Ascension of Baha'u'llah, I thought I'd share three couplets from a poet, 'Andalib, (Mirza 'Ali Ashraf Lahijani) who was there in 1892:

Oh, in life's cup the wine-pourer of the feast of decree
Poured life-ending venom instead of spirit-elating wine.

For every ache there is a remedy, for every trouble a solution,
Oh, for this remediless ache and this balmless trouble.

The eye of creation was stunned, the world's heart darkened,
Heart's orchard was withered, the nightingale of life silenced.


It is a part of a larger work apparently in the ghazal form of that region.

Kansas: Cooling ... slowly ... at 00:00 and 65º. ** Image ID #1295354 Unavailable ** .
5181

© Copyright 2008 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/587800-Family-Foods-Daisy-a-short-OKeeffe-poem