*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/587367-Chapter-29
Rated: 13+ · Book · Thriller/Suspense · #1430797
An action-packed thriller in the vein of Dan Brown...
#587367 added May 28, 2008 at 11:32pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 29
Chapter 29


The London Eye. Sitting on the bank of, and towering nearly 450 feet over, the River Thames--its 2,100 tons of steel cables and tubing resembling a gigantic white bicycle tire; and its 32 bus-sized clear egg-shaped capsules giving 800 awestruck visitors the view of a lifetime with each 30 minute revolution--it's quite simply the largest Ferris Wheel in the world.
         At the base of London's hottest new landmark the LEO (London Eye Oppressions) Crew, along with members of the Royal Guard, worked to clear the monstrous wheel and secure the area for the evening's media event.
         It was a monumental task, preparing an event of this nature. Security would be at it heaviest since 9-11, but fears still brewed. Tony Blair; Prime Minister to be, Brown; even President Bush, were scheduled to appear. It was a fantastic PR stunt. One that easily could turn tragic. Security would have their hands full for sure.
         The Eye was just one of many structures being secured. Even in the dark, a sniper could easily fire a shot from the giant wheel, marring Big Ben's face forever. Blair would be speaking at the base of the 150 year old clock tower, certainly within the sights of a master sniper.
         The last capsule was emptied.
         The Royal Guards--in their bright red and white coats, black slacks, and puffy black hats--were escorting a few remaining visitors off the massive concrete platform, when several black Caddies sped up to the curb, their tires locking with a chirping squeal.
         A dozen agents from the US Embassy stormed the London Eye. A tall dark man--fully done up in a black pleated suit, perfectly knotted silk blue tie, dark shades, and tightly cropped hair--approached the giant wheel.
         "Take the night off gentlemen."
         The head Guard stood straight up, facing the agent, his back stiff, his face ridged. He was a true Royal Guard. "We have orders, Sir."
         "You have new orders, captain," the agent said flashing a government citation.
         The Royal Guards were baffled but did what they were told. The Embassy had jurisdiction too. Sure, England's Prime Minister was England's responsibility, but Bush was theirs.
         After several minutes of somewhat confusing, almost confrontational, discussion with London's Royal Guard, the Eye was finally secured.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
© Copyright 2008 Keith Katsikas (UN: kkatsikas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Keith Katsikas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/587367-Chapter-29