*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/587005-Response-to-Fear
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#587005 added May 25, 2008 at 1:56am
Restrictions: None
Response to Fear
Wren asked me: How ironic that such a tolerant faith is treated with such aggression! How did it happen?

I share my [edited and rethought *Smirk*] response:

Response to Fear

Well, any movement, whether religious, spiritual, political, et cetera that upsets the norm and those in power and control will be opposed.

1. In the Baha'i Faith (as well as some others) power does not reside in learned individuals (mullas) or teachers (rabbis) or keeper of the sacraments (clergy). It is shared by the community. It's not a radical idea but don't expect religious systems that have hierarchal structures to find it appealing to give up their power.

2. Control. Baha'is are encouraged (to an extent) to think. To make decisions based on personal belief and not the belief of their parents. One does not inherit the Baha'i Faith; although, this could be argued on a individual by individual basis. (Are there those who just go along for the ride? Yep. In every faith.) However, this runs contrary to systems that demand that one is born into a faith and do not allow individuals to make any decisions contrary to that, or do not allow one to leave the faith and choose another. Orthodox Jews will tell you this. Many Muslims believe this. Catholics say this all the time: "born a Catholic". Amish?

3. Tolerant? Of many things, yes. Of everything? No. Every faith has boundaries and limits, of what is acceptable behaviour. Even a positive example has its disclaimer: "Baha'is believe in the Holy Scriptures of all Faiths" [quiz: 1. describe "all". 2. what is "believed", especially when the Baha'i understanding is contrary to the followers of that religion.] Some Baha'is do not eagerly embrace folks of faiths they don't understand. And question practices that are not prohibited in the Baha'i Faith based only on their personal or cultural prejudices.

4.Even when folks agree they might disagree. A Christian example of how the same idea can be approached from different perspectives will do: Baha'u'llah preaches that different prophets/messengers/manifestations of God have guided humanity throughout time. This includes Jesus the Christ, of course! But do not expect a belief in the Trinity or the exclusivity of Christian claims to the Word of God. And "Christian" literature regularly attacks Baha'is on this point. For some the beliefs must match word-by-word or that group (even related denominations) is designated as a "cult" or "satanic" or ... whatever word is derogatory to frighten their believers that they will go straight to Hell if they even pause to think.

5. We would not be so tolerated in America if our numbers were larger. There was a groundswell of Babis and later Baha'is in Iran. There isn't that much difference in how the Baha'is were/are treated there today and how the Mormon's have historically been treated in America. The Mormons however call themselves Christian (whether other Christians agree or not). The Baha'is have made it very clear that they are NOT a sect of Islam while still acknowledging those roots. For the most part, American Mormons have rights. Baha'is in Iran do not. The FLDS case in Texas, though, demonstrates how 'rights' can be circumvented on flimsy grounds by mere accusations.

6. Ignorance. Americans act poorly when they are scared and ignorant. So do other people. Baha'is have been wrongly accused of many things; but, rightly accused of others (fostering inter-racial marriages, educating the masses, seeking world-wide cooperation). Are you puzzled then, by how frightening Baha'u'llah's Message can be? Consider the poor sheep farmer in the Elburz mountains, the orange grower in Manzandaran, the melon grower of Qom, the herders and carpet weavers of the Qashqa'i. They lead traditional lives doing what has sustained them for generations. The are good Muslims. They submit to the Will of God. They say their prayers. They contribute to their family and society. Not that different from people most anywhere else. And then ...

Tahirih tears off her veil! An unveiled woman! Learned! Claiming the right of women to enter a world set aside for men! And The Bab agreed. And Baha'u'llah's Writings uphold the education of women to the extent that if one must choose to educate boys or girls, one must educate the girls because they will educate their daughters and sons! This upsets tradition. It sets the culture on end. The poor herders and farmers and carpet weavers are threatened by this New World. And this is but one teaching ...?

** Image ID #1295354 Unavailable **


Time will bring change, even within the Baha'i faith. We have our blind spots. But one must understand how upsetting this all can be to people who KNOW what is right and wrong. Their wisdom has been questioned. Can one see how they would react in fear? And why the fearful lash out against those who usher in a new culture, a new way of living?

A link on Tahirih: http://www.tahirih.org/tahirih/about/tahirih.html

Kansas: 72 muggy degrees, peel my skin off please.
5086

© Copyright 2008 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/587005-Response-to-Fear