*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/585361-Spring-winds-of-I-44
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#585361 added May 16, 2008 at 12:05am
Restrictions: None
Spring winds of I 44
Spring winds of I 44

West to east
along this route they sweep
removing blemishes that bruise the land,
the ugliness we weep o'er.

Each Spring they cleanse cold clay
of brush and broken tree,
burn it all releasing seeds
that grow lush green
or waving from the skies
they pass them by
in fluffy cotton balls across a span of blue
or twist and turn a raging roar right through them.

Sometimes from northern climes they frost;
oftentimes with southern breath they scorch,
but always weeping wailing screaming
they'll sweep from west to east
along this route.

© 2008 Kåre Enga [165.66] 2008-05-14

Note: I 44 follows old Route 66 from St. Louis to Oklahoma City and includes Tornado alley from Tulsa to Joplin. It is also prone to lightning and prairie fires. The prompt for this poem was the number 66.

ME:


When I was a child we opened windows to cool down and air out the house. We hung clothes out on the line to dry. We did not have a key to the door; we were expected to tell our parents if we were going to be out after dark. When we were little, dark was defined as the time the streetlights came on. I can still hear my parents hollering our names.

Times change.

But I still know how to wash clothes out by hand and don't need a clothes dryer to dry them. I keep my window OPEN so I can breathe. I'd open the door and windows if someone would ever leave the house instead of moping half-naked for two days. I have a key. Dark is defined as when the last bus leaves, unless I want an hour's walk. I don't respond well to people hollering my name.

Some things change very little.

BLOGVILLE:

I've been trying to answer all my comments by email and by putting it in my blog comment section as well. I don't think it has hurt; but, it hasn't helped much either. I'll continue to do it though. Only a small inner core of Blogville is truly interactive. The other folks must live in this small city's suburbs ...

Kansas: 55º and moonshine. ** Image ID #1295354 Unavailable ** .
4785

© Copyright 2008 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/585361-Spring-winds-of-I-44