*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/583314-Gods
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#583314 added May 4, 2008 at 9:05pm
Restrictions: None
Gods
Never thought the day would come, but here it is: the day a blog entry was inspired by the writings of a teenage girl.

"Invalid Entry

...But I do believe that there is something out there. Something that created karma, and luck, and destiny. Something that has the power to create and destroy, but doesn't claim a great accomplishment as generating the whole of humanity. I'm not sure what it is, but I don't think it has any certain definition, state of matter or identity. I came about these thoughts as I was imagining the death of a person. Supposedly this person will grow to express phenomenal ideas and theories, some of which question its creator, which I'll just call, "My God". This person who has the potential to overpower "My God" by turning people against it lies ill in a hospital bed. "My God" then has to make a choice; to kill the person or let him/her live. Surely My God would not want to be overpowered, but in another view, shouldn't My God be proud of his creation? That it is so brilliant that it questions the matter of life and its creator, and has the ability help others think on their own...

Now, I wish I had time tonight to get into this further, but it ties in with a thing I've been thinking about for a while.

The difference between a god and anything else can be expressed as this:

A god can't do wrong.

It can do things that piss us off, sure. But a god - or God, if you will - is automatically right, even when we don't like it.

It struck me the other day that many of us think of certain people or organizations as "gods." That was when I realized that George W. Bush could perform a human sacrifice to Satan in the Rose Garden at high noon with all the world watching, and afterwards, there are people who would go, "Well, he must have had a good reason for it."

Not just the President, though, but the country itself - I keep hearing from people of a certain political bent that because this is America, anything we do as a country is automatically right (except, to their way of thinking, criticizing the country). On the other end of the political spectrum are people who think that there are some things (torture, say) that are always morally wrong and by doing it, America tarnishes her image.

Well, like I said, I don't have a lot of time to go into this, but it's something to think about further. Does the former group think of America as a god? I think so. The latter group sees it as a people, and a government, subject to change and criticism, that can do wrong and when it does, we need to fix it. The former figure that if our government does something, it's automatically right because it's our government.

Well, it's not. And it's time we started acting like it.

© Copyright 2008 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/583314-Gods