*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/573464-Sweet-Caroline
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#573464 added March 13, 2008 at 3:59pm
Restrictions: None
Sweet Caroline
Carolina, Carol Lynn, Sweet Caroline.

I wasn't happy. The Greyhound station in Springfield is spanky new, but no lockers, and stuck out in the middle of nowhere. I guess the poor aren't encouraged to take a bus. Couldn't get to the center of town in a timely fashion. Totally dismal. Totally inconvenient. So I walked a mile with my backpack and satchel. Wal*Mart, Car*Mart, Burger*Mart. The usual fare of Blond Bleached Bland America. After all, this is the Bible Belt, a city sprawl of Bible Colleges, Missouri State, Drury ... and ... not much else.

So there was this non-suburban looking place. I walked into the Maple Restaurant at 2253 North Glenstone. Old route 66 ran by it back in the day ... it's an old fashioned diner (established 1955). I had 2 eggs (fresh *Laugh*) with grits, and biscuit and gravy (white peppery heart-blocking stuff)
[$2.75 *Shock*]

The waitress was Carol. *Smile*

She put back a smile on my day. So I gave her a $5 tip.

So I sit here with coffee. Doing the blog thingy and soon I will leave (it might rain). But I had a nice morning.

*Flower3*

I meandered down the street to ABC Bookstore. Aisles and aisles of Christian this or that. I did find a copy of poems Lyrics of the Hearthside [1903] of Paul Laurence Dunbar and Haugen's Norwegian-English dictionary.

Spoke with red-haired Melissa and brunette Rebecca. I read them "Old grey tom" and gave them a copy of Gzaibun (copy #27).

IMAGES:

Gravel paths, bottle caps, cigarette butts, a syringe ... small blue flowers (creeping charlie?)

Missouri: 65 degrees and nice.
3075

© Copyright 2008 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/573464-Sweet-Caroline