*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/566688-Report-by-the-first-fish-to-climb-the-atoll
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#566688 added February 11, 2008 at 12:57pm
Restrictions: None
Report by the first fish to climb the atoll
Report by the first fish to climb the atoll

I will return to the water to live in the sea.
For I am a creature of the belovèd vast sea.

But I been to the land of the sun!

First I crawled from waves grasping each grain,
climbed over boulders to gasp the thin water.

Struck by bright pinpricks above the spray of the spume,
I waited for Sun's light; he seemed rather frightened.

But his glow warmed me up till it burned and I thirsted for spray.
I scrambled back towards it, done for the day. But I'd done it!

And I will return to the water to live in the sea.
For I am a creature of the belovèd vast sea.

For I reached the pinnacle of our existence,
and now the Sun knows my worth.

© Kåre Enga 2008 [164.500] 2008-02-06

I wanted a better word than 'fish', but it's all I got at the moment. *Laugh*

I was thinking of Sir Edmund Hillary.


IMAGES:


A poem composed while walking along the ditch for the umpteenth time:

[untitled]

I will walk through the pine-shadowed path,
led in and out of the sun,
snow resting in shade,
the ground still frozen, not mud,
past the crayfish asleep in their huts,
past willows barely awake,
a trickle of melt flowing through their ditch.
I itch for the spring,
then think of chiggers and ticks.

So, I'll walk through the chill of a mid-winter day,
thankful for willow and ice,
and the pine's shadow-play.

© Kåre Enga 2008 [164.508] 2008-02-10

ME:

My new phone has internet! But I can't figure out how to access this place or my email ... yet. I will. Just like I'll get use to that annoying ringer or learn how to change it. *Laugh* At least I can check out the news. Will it be worth $15/month? I'll see; if not, I'll cancel.

I e-mailed chalaedra who was kind enough to respond to my query about Kyle, Texas as a place to move to. Her impression is that the Hill Country is fairly tolerant. Kyle is just south of her on the way to San Marcos. Austin is just north, but I'd rather not live in a large city unless I have access to the country and proper financial resources.

Another place to consider is Iowa City, Iowa.

I have various needs. Sunshine in the winter (cold is fine) and diversity are two of them. I cannot imagine living in a gloomy homogenous place. I've done that before and "died". I am more feline than canine, but I don't think I have as many "lives" to spare.

I just wish Missoula were a tad more diverse and sunshiny in the winter ...

Any thoughts from anyone on where else I should look?

Oklahoma is still a possibility, but the new anti-hispanic law, "1804", has made it a dangerous place to live and showed how ignorant and mean-spirited folks can become. Kansas is considering a similar law. Color me unhappy. Reminds me of Stalinist-Communist Romania under Nicolae Ceauşescu and Fascist Germany under Hitler.

*Frown*

Kansas: 20º and sunny.
2204

© Copyright 2008 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/566688-Report-by-the-first-fish-to-climb-the-atoll