*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/563931-Over-the-edge
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#563931 added January 28, 2008 at 5:49pm
Restrictions: None
Over the edge
Over the edge

at Fall Brook Falls
the ledge is slate
strong enough to tempt us to the edge
the water glistens
wets the slippery slope
we listen
to its flight twenty-seven meters down
where the pool waits
and I peer over
its lip safe at a distance
see the young folk swimming
arms flailing legs splashing
such sheer joy
and I see myself jumping
brains bashed bobbing
bobbing

© Kåre Enga 2008 [164.465] 2008-01-15

Need to get this edited and finished by tomorrow night's poetry reading. Sam and her husband are the hosts and come from the area where this poem is set: Fall Brook Falls, south of Geneseo, New York (south of Rochester). Also must finish poem about Wayne Hall at GSU.

IMAGES:


Visitors: juncos, sparrows, starlings, one dove; one flicker. The noise of the wind; the flash of light off trembling leaves and branches. Mud following me into my kitchen.

WEIRD MUSINGS:

Take any three sentences and rearrange them.

Like:

The girl turned red; the boy dropped dead; the cow got up again.
The cow got up again; the girl turned red; the boy dropped dead.
The boy dropped dead; the cow got up again; the girl turned red.
The boy dropped dead; the girl turned red; the cow got up again.
The cow got up again; the boy dropped dead; the girl turned red.
The girl turned red; the cow got up again; the boy dropped dead.

There are nuances of meaning. What-caused-what is the first thing that comes to mind.
There are better examples I'm sure. But in poetry and short stories the mere arrangement of phrases may change the interpretation for the reader (and in poetry, the rhythm and rhyme scheme). Change she/he/cow to I/you/cop and the sense changes also.

BLOGVILLE:

Rebecca from Perth, Australia has a new blog:
http://www.writersroundabout.com/

NEWS:

When traditional ways collide with international conventions and global change what issues are faced? In Oaxaca, México one woman questions her rôle, her indigenous culture and the future of women:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080127/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/mexico_voteless_women

Indecency? What do you consider indecent? ABC was fined millions for showing a woman's buttocks. Does that mean I can go to jail for my poem "God's Arse [18+]? Not the same thing for sure, but it does make a writer pause ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080127/tv_nm/indecency_dc

ME:

Fine. Okay, I ate too much yesterday *Laugh*! Finished off some sweet Italian bread with hot chocolate today. Will eat again later ... I get the munchies in winter.

Finished watching Pan e Tulipane which sounds very different (say it outloud) in Italian than Bread & Tulips does in English. A bit of a farce; it is delightful.

My eyes bothered me last night. I suspect they are having more problems focusing. Couldn't watch tv and do my data entry at the same time.

Could someone please read my last entry and comment? It's lonely ... *Heart*

Kansas: 58º; winter returns by morning *Snow1*.
1979

© Copyright 2008 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/563931-Over-the-edge