*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/562632-Juncos
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#562632 added January 22, 2008 at 5:17pm
Restrictions: None
Juncos
See my previous entry for the two polls I made: "Reigning cats and DOGS!

Each has 9 votes. Any guess as to who's winning?

Juncos

Dark grey wings, white bellied,
this incoming flight of snowbirds watches,
sees my movement behind the glass,
flees, then flies back.
Fresh seed draws them to peck through ice
as lunch served on a concrete slab's still nice
and the redbirds have already feasted.
What's left then but millet, sorghum and corn.
The incoming flights take turns
as, frozen in place, I dare not squirm.

© Kåre Enga 2008 [164.477] 2008-01-22

A junco:

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/caer/ce/eek/critter/bird/birdposter/djunco.htm

IMAGES:


Air freshener gagging me, making it hard to breathe; red spots from hemorrhoids on brown scorched underwear (burnt on the floor furnace grate); ice on the bedroom window; juncos, grey over white.

OVERHEARD:

"My skin folk are not my kin folk", Darraus last night.

"Have you ever danced with the barber in the pale shop light?", Robert, brandishing his comb.

I told Robert he should change his common name to Thelonious Hemorrhoid Smith. He'd be unique that way ... and it fits him so well. *Smirk*

BLOGVILLE:

bluesky has two beautiful entries worth reading by everyone (remember to leave your calling card *Heart*).
"Beauty in the Midnight Blue Sky
"Beach Bliss

vivacious just had her Thomas, 7 lb. 7 oz., on January 18th. Congratulate her at: "A Not-So-Unexpected Turn

ME:

I joined a discussion last night about the Civil Rights Movement from the 60s. The young speaker said that the movement died before it achieved what it needed to. That many white folk felt that once the violence had subsided, they could move on with their lives and the movement was abandoned. His arguments were better presented than I can repeat.

I spoke up to basically support his premise that the Civil Rights Movement stopped short. Having lived in an African-American neighborhood through the 90s, the stories of continued racism were frequent. Past wounds inflicted by others had not healed and it was apparent that these particular Black folk weren't beyond kicking those beneath them on the ladder (in a specific case I remember, Ukranian refugees).

I mentioned very specific incidences in Lawrence's history that the Chamber of Commerce doesn't promote, how even today there are problems when the street folks are 25% people of color (Lawrence and the State of Kansas are both 95% white.) Race still matters.

I encouraged them to stretch their personal comfort zones and get to know people who are different from themselves, to see in every person the Face of God.

Anywho, the speaker is on his way today to study at the University of Cape Town. He'll be there for 5 months, taking 4 graduate courses and doing a vlog (video blog) on jazz.

I thoroughly enjoyed an unexpected night at the coffeehouse and Dear Sara (Sara Shoom) gave me a ride home!

Kansas: 20º and sunny.
1900

© Copyright 2008 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/562632-Juncos