*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/560402-Two-suns-The-Three-Signs
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#560402 added January 11, 2008 at 5:34pm
Restrictions: None
Two suns. The Three Signs.
From an article:

The Three Signs

Lencioni identifies the three signs of job misery as anonymity, irrelevance, and "immeasurement."

Anonymity: Employees feel anonymous when their manager has little interest in them as people with unique lives, aspirations, and interests.

I've felt this way on the job and here in Kansas. One might expect an office to be impersonal, but that doesn't make it okay or better. It is possible to know and value co-workers and bosses without merely gossiping about them. Same with family. I always felt excluded by the secrets. Here in Lawrence, I get frozen out by the impersonality of the place. Tahlequah and Tulsa Oklahoma were much warmer and 'fuzzier'. I feel best when I am acknowledged as an individual. Even here at WDC, I couldn't be just another face, or I wouldn't hang around.


Irrelevance: This condition occurs when workers cannot see how their job makes a difference. "Every employee needs to know that the work they do impacts someone's life -- a customer, a coworker, even a supervisor -- in one way or another."

I get easily depressed, especially if I feel worthless. My writing helps me connect and if I can provide happiness, laughter or understanding, even tears, it's all good. Indifference kills my spirit. My previous job had great moments when I could be 'of use'. It was horrible when bosses did not allow me to be myself and be the 'giving' me.

Immeasurement: This term describes the inability of employees to assess for themselves their contributions or success. As a result they often rely on the opinions of others -- usually the manager -- to measure their success.

Ouch. I like to set my own goals and when it comes to writing or gardening, I've had some success. With relationships, I've been more frustrated, but even there it is possible to improve things by constancy, friendliness and patience. My contributions to the workplace were discounted. To be so diminished is heart-breaking. I utterly failed when their goals did not include me or my success. Without measureable objectives and a mutual willingness and support to see me succeed, I was doomed to failure.

This article can on "Three Signs of a Miserable Job" can be found at:

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-three_signs_of_a_miserable_job-277

Two suns

I will never create such beauty,
bring forth the radiance of your two suns.
They usher in the dawn; gleaming,
vanish the gloaming.

Two lifetimes of laughter surround you,
each a gem: turquoise and sapphire,
focused on the zenith of love.

Once conceived by desire,
here they are:
each a semblance of who you were
and who you wanted to be.

Yet each spins,
unique in his orbit,
a bright new sun.

And I?
I will never bring forth such beauty
even should my words
outlive their song.
         
© Kåre Enga 2007 [164.442] 2007-12-27

ME:

Ate at Kelly's again today (roast beast). Must seem like all I do is eat! But, most days are humdrum.

I went to lunch with Jeanette to talk about Montana. She's thinking of relocating to Idaho or Montana: Boise, Bozeman, Missoula, Kalispell, Coeur D'Alene. I recounted my favorable impression of Missoula versus Lawrence. She's no more happy here than I am (nothing ever changes for the better, costs are high and pay is poor).

What else to tell you? I thought kind thoughts today remembering Carol and Esfan and friendlier, more tranquil times. *Heart*

Now it's approaching suppertime and Indian tacos!

Kansas: 47º and warm to the touch.
1701

© Copyright 2008 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/560402-Two-suns-The-Three-Signs