*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/559393-hey-cables-back
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#559393 added January 7, 2008 at 12:17am
Restrictions: None
hey, cable's back!
We were some of the fortunate people in the area who didn't lose power during the wind storm. However, we did lose cable and internet until just now. There are hundreds of trees uprooted all over town, but, amazingly, very little property loss other than shingles. So many people at church this morning told of trees that just missed hitting their houses, and that was true for us too. One man lost one window of his 1890 house when a sycamore crashed down, just missing it.

Most of the trees uprooted were evergreens, I noticed. I suppose they had more wind resistance than the leafless deciduous trees. The maples and birches and sycamores that fell were more of the old trees that snapped off, although we lost half of a white pine too. I'm surprised the tamarack went down. It wasn't very big, just a straight up and down stick of a tree that sheds its needles in the winter and has cones that look like badger tails.

One big branch snapped off our ponderosa, our neighbor said, and it landed on her roof but didn't do any damage. She said her husband always worries about it, but she doesn't. She appreciates the shade it gives in the summer and would never want to have it taken out. She said she considers it as much their tree as ours.

So, we have a lot to be thankful for tonight.

© Copyright 2008 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/559393-hey-cables-back