*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/558952-142008--575-words
Rated: E · Book · Research · #1363470
500-words-a-day Group #1214629
#558952 added January 4, 2008 at 7:47pm
Restrictions: None
1/4/2008--575 words

I have a lot to write to finish this piece.  I am quite surprised at the amount of honesty and soul searching into my writing habits that I took to come up with the following work.  I am also surprised how hard it is to keep within the word limits for this particular contest.  Once I get to writing, the words seem to stream.  Then, comes the editing, and the process starts all over.  I see lots of progress in my writing ability, but find that I am never satisfied with my own work.  I often write from personal experiences but the words never seem adequate to describe the actual event.

I needed to take a break from my actual book, so this was a nice diversion for the day.  I believe that may be a process I need to use more often because it seems I am more excited about the book I am writing:  “The Goat Lady and Dirty Shirt Harry”.





WDC Contest entry—not edited
Dear Me:

         Goal setting contest for those of us who do not periodically set goals.  As you know, me, I tend to take one day at a time.  The idea of setting goals is a new concept, and the idea of sharing these goals with others is even more of a foreign concept.  The idea that I might fail to achieve the aforementioned goals makes me shrink from the task.  However, after speaking quite openly to my inner muse, I decided to risk and take courage that writers are the best of reviewers and most understanding of an author’s sensitive ego.
         With all that said, my first resolution, or goal relates to time management.  Calendars, day planners, sticky notes, white boards, corkboard, and personal message devices make me wonder how to organize the time management organizational tools. 
         Which brings me to my next goal, which is office
organization.  Oh boy! I share an office with my best friend and partner.  The contrast between our office organization styles is plainly and painfully obvious.  Her office space is neat and tidy.  A clean desk, organized files, simple wall décor and no clutter.  Me, on the other hand have an Area 51 zone for my office space.  I have book shelves brimming over, file cabinets without a file system.  My desk is cluttered with pens, pencils, and miscellaneous office gadgets.  I have one pile of journals, old Christmas cards and past due contest announcements.  Another pile consists of several chapters of my book and other short stories and poems.  Actually, they aren’t piled, the chapters, stories and poems are scattered where no man dares to go.  And, of course, the obligatory stack of bills rises high from my desktop without any hope of finding the end.
         Finding self-discipline in my writing career is one goal that I need to define within myself.  I need to know what I believe self-discipline represents as a goal in my life.  First, I need to keep my buns in my chair.  I am easily distracted by the home/office environment with three cats, two Pomeranians, a thirteen year old boy, home and garden responsibilities, and museum board member duties. 
         I have identified three areas for my goal setting: 
                   1.  Learn to set goals
                   2.  Organize my time management
                   3.  Optimize my office space (reduce clutter)
                   4.  Use self-discipline tactics in home/office enviro.

Now, that I have identified the basics, what is the plan for achievement?





AndieK--don't forget "Life is an adventure . . . So write it down & treasure the memory forever."

© Copyright 2008 whimzician (UN: andiek at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
whimzician has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/558952-142008--575-words