*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/558910-Everyone-can-have-a-bad-century-Kansas-wins
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#558910 added January 4, 2008 at 4:40pm
Restrictions: None
"Everyone can have a bad century". Kansas wins.
The Jayhawks won the Orange Bowl game against Virginia Tech. I stood over an hour at Buffalo Wild Wings until a seat became available. I'm glad I stayed. I don't normally enjoy the young drinking crowd, but we were all Kansas fans (except one Nebraskan among us).

I ate my wings. All 12 of them for 8.15. I consider that expensive. They are good though with the garlic parmesan sauce. As good as I've ever had in Buffalo. That impresses me.

Met a young man from Mexico (from near Guadalajara). I told him I want to visit Colima (just south of there). He doesn't speak much English, but he was in the company of a young lady (¡guapita!) from Emporia. I told her I'd just been in Emporia. Anywho, it was nice talking to them.

The game. Well, it was exciting. But I usually prefer excitement when it's teams I don't care about. 70-0 at halftime would've been great for my high blood pressure. *Bigsmile* I was surprised to see the Kansas team in its red uniforms. Oddly, I think that was an emotional boost from the coach signaling this game was 'special'. They are 6-0 in their crimson garb over the years.

Although there were painful and nail-biting moments in the game, I think it showcased how talented the young Jayhawks truly are. At 12-1, it was the best season in over a century of football here. As Coach Mangino quipped, "Everyone can have a bad century." Now, if he could just get to a Health Spa for his obesity (he's over 400 pounds), the folks around here would sigh some relief.

When it ended, I sped out of there and over to Aimée's to fetch Hub and get him in the car and gone. I knew the party had just begun and young drunk and dumb drivers hooting and hollering up and down Massachusetts Avenue was an experience I wanted to avoid. We got home safely.

Yes, it does feel better to win than to lose. But it even feels better to wake up safe in one's own bed the next morning. There was some serious drinking going on last night. (I do not partake.)

So ... no great images or thoughts or even a poem. I do need to edit a couple and post but I'm just not in the mood. Have some other things to take care of today.

Last night: chicken wings; tasty but sticky, slimy fingers (there is no other way to eat them), bottles of beer; Coors buckets of beer; glasses of beer; the crash of a glass of beer; crowded tables; the waitress negotiating the drinkers with a tray of beers; the wave; the cheers; the overflowing waste baskets; smokers running outside on a frigid night.

Kansas: 38 grey degrees.
1612

© Copyright 2008 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/558910-Everyone-can-have-a-bad-century-Kansas-wins