*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/551581-just-checking-in
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#551581 added November 25, 2007 at 11:55pm
Restrictions: None
just checking in
Just a short note to check in. We had a very good Thanksgiving with Hap and his family, although I'll never make a reservation through Expedia again. They charged immediately, which was two months ago, and did not offer the holiday special the lodge had available: a $100 credit per room toward meals in the dining room for Thanksgiving night and a fresh greenery wreath for nights after that. The lodge wouldn't give an inch on it either, even though we spent lots there. However, it was really special to spend time with him, something we don't get to do often.

The unexpected and bad part of the holiday is that my son-in-law, at the beach, ended up in the hospital with a perforated bowel. So my ex and his wife brought the twins to my son's house, and we drove to Portland to pick them up and bring them home with us. They can only stay till Wednesday, because we have to drive back to Portland to catch a plane to go on the cruise. What lousy timing! I'm so sorry I made the reservation, but can't get out of it without losing all the money.

THe other bad part about leaving again is that Seamus, our dog, did not fare well with the dogsitter over Thursday-Saturday. He must have spent the entire time lying on his heated pad on the back screen porch and can barely stand and move now. The dogsitter was my plan for the cruise, and I don't think he'd make it through the time we'll be gone. So tomorrow I'll call the kennels to see if they'll give him individual attention and exercise every day. He is looking some better tonight than last night, when he couldn't even get off the porch without my holding onto his harness to keep him upright. Maybe this is the time I should let him go, but he's still wagging his tail. I was awake most of the night last night worrying about what to do with him, what was the better choice for him, that is.

I haven't thought of any way to work while they're here, and I hope that will be all right with my boss. I think so. I think she'll understand family emergencies.

© Copyright 2007 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/551581-just-checking-in