*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/549450-Dis-n-dat
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#549450 added November 15, 2007 at 11:17pm
Restrictions: None
Dis 'n dat
Sorry I've been gone so long. I can't say "No excuse," because I can think of dozens of them. But I have missed being here, and when I've had time, I haven't had anything to say.

Right now, dragonfly_mist's recipe for squash with sausage is cooking in my pan, but it's almost done. I made it a couple of weeks ago and thought it was terrific. This time I've had all sorts of delays. I intended to fix it Monday night, but realized I'd forgotten to buy shallots, which I'd left out last time too, and I wanted to do it right. Tuesday we had a big chef salad because we'd both had extra calorie lunches out. Last night, okay, I was ready. Bill got home before me and cooked the squash in advance. Oops, no mushrooms! Tonight was the night. Oops, he finished off the celery last night while he waited for me to come up with something else for dinner. Oh well. It's happening anyway, minus a stalk of celery. Darn, though, it seems more complicated and doesn't smell nearly as good to me. Bill just came in, and he thinks it smells great.

***

Dinner's over. He liked it better than I did this time, but that's okay. There's enough left for lunch tomorrow. That's what the Joy of Cooking calls "Plan-overs." One recipe in that book, in that category, is called "Twice Blessed." *Bigsmile*

***

Saturday we drove up to my daughter's and stayed in a motel she told me about. It's a Ramada that's just being/been redecorated, and there are three pools inside, one with a big slide, (and one outside, closed for the season.) They kept the water nice and warm, unusual for a motel pool, and the kids had a good time. So did the grown-ups. We all tried the slide too.

Sophie was reluctant, and I couldn't talk her into going with me. Her mother even went back to our room for the life jacket, thinking that would take care of her fears. I tried telling Sophie that, when you know something isn't really going to hurt you but you're afraid of it anyway, it's best to face into it and do it. You always feel better about yourself afterwards.
That didn't work. She had a good time last year on a similar slide in Jamaica, so I didn't want her to let herself get away with being scared. So I told her I have something I'm trying to get up the courage to do too: parasailing in the water behind (above!) a boat. I didn't say anything else. She just looked at me and said, "Okay, I'll try." And, although she didn't go up a second time, she came out of the water smiling with her thumbs up.

***

What else have I been doing? I've met two new, interesting patients, but I'll save their stories for another time. I've also been eBaying. First, I was looking for new swim trunks for Bill to fit his smaller size. Then I got some things out of our closets, got them photographed and up for sale. Only two out of the five have bids on them, but they're much higher than I expected. I lowered the price on one of the remaining three, and need a better photo for another. Four days yet to go. We'll see. I intended to add more, with the idea that the more you have for sale at once, the better your chances. I know I usually look to see what else someone has for sale, so that I can get a break on the shipping and handling fees. That gives you a lot more viewers, and each one might see something worth bidding on.

Time to go catch up on what you all have been up to. 'Bye.

© Copyright 2007 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/549450-Dis-n-dat