*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/548068-B-minus-2-Days
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#548068 added November 9, 2007 at 5:20pm
Restrictions: None
B minus 2 Days
Bruce has long been concerned about social issues, and rather outspoken about them at concerts. But he never stated a particular political opinion until 2004.

Partly, this almost certainly had to do with trying not to alienate a segment of his fan base. You saw what happened to Dixie Chicks when they publicly said shit about Bush - though as relatively new country singers, they had more to lose than an established rock / folk performer.

But in 2004, Bruce had apparently had enough of the bullshit, and joined the Vote for Change initiative.

Naturally, I got tickets. I'd have gotten tickets even if I supported Bush, just to see Bruce on stage again. Oddly enough, Ticketmaster wouldn't let me get 2 tickets or 4 tickets - but it had no problem selling me 3 tickets. The show was in Philadelphia, because they were targeting "swing" states like Pennsylvania and Ohio, trying to push them toward the blue.

A lot of people felt betrayed by Bruce at that point, because as I said, never before had he come out in favor of one party or the other. How anyone could mistake him for a conservative, though, is beyond me - but hey, Reagan made that mistake in 1984.

The real problem, in my opinion, is that America doesn't really divide into merely liberals and conservatives, and those that think it does are a bigger problem than either liberals or conservatives. These people don't listen to actual debates anymore; they just check to see if the content of the speech is more in line with "liberal" or "conservative" values and either dismiss it if it's not the same as their own, or quote it like Truth if it is.

In other words, a closed-minded Springsteen fan would see that he is supporting the Democrats, and immediately stop being a fan. This doesn't make sense to me. It would be, like, say you appreciate a certain actor. Let's say Brad Pitt. One day it comes out that Brad Pitt is actually gay. So you stop liking Brad Pitt because he's gay. He's not any different as an actor - so what changed? Nothing but your perception.

Well, anyway, the important thing is: was it a good concert?

Hell, yeah.

Since we had a third ticket, we dragged Artemismad along. In addition to Bruce, there was a warm-up performance by Bright Eyes - who I'd never heard of, but has become one of my favorite bands. Then it was Bruce and R.E.M. alternating songs, even sharing band members.

Let me tell you something: watching Bruce and Michael Stipe alternating verses on Man on the Moon was a peak experience for me. Awesome song. Awesome movie. Andy Kaufman was awesome, too. You know he's buried in the same cemetery as my mom? If he's really buried, that is...

Oh yeah, John Fogerty came out for a couple songs, too.

Obviously, the attempt to swing the vote wasn't successful; Bruce saw his shadow and we had four more years of winter. But the concert was spectacular.

The ragamuffin gunner is returnin' home like a hungry runaway
He walks through town all alone
He must be from the fort he hears the high school girls say
His countryside's burnin' with wolfman fairies dressed in drag for homicide
The hit and run, plead sanctuary, 'neath a holy stone they hide
They're breakin' beams and crosses with a spastic's reelin' perfection
nuns run bald through Vatican halls pregnant, pleadin' immaculate conception
And everybody's wrecked on Main Street from drinking unholy blood
Sticker smiles sweet as gunner breathes deep, his ankles caked in mud
And I said "Hey, gunner man, that's quicksand, that's quicksand that ain't mud
Have you thrown your senses to the war or did you lose them in the flood?"

© Copyright 2007 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/548068-B-minus-2-Days