*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/547294-Erection-Day
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#547294 added November 6, 2007 at 1:06pm
Restrictions: None
Erection Day
So, I voted.

Big, fat, hairy deal. There were elections for state senator and representative - each of which ballots included exactly one candidate, both Democrats. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The state representative candidate is a guy I know personally: David Toscano. Good guy, even allowing for him being a lawyer. So I voted for him rather than trying to write in Dave Matthews or something.

The senate candidate was Creigh Deeds, and his name was cool enough that I voted for him rather than trying to write in Dave Matthews.

There were also elections for City Council and the school board. Every last City Council candidate was a Democrat, and I was tempted to write in Dave Matthews, but figured it wouldn't make a difference - they'd still try to stonewall every one of my projects.

School Board was another matter. I didn't recognize a single name. Now, you might say that as a childfree individual, I should have no say in the school board. If that were the case, though, why would my taxes be going to schools? I have a vested interest in an educated crop of kids. Still, recognizing no names, I pretty much picked four people at random.

Thus was my vote counted. Thus was my citizenship validated. Thus another few years of enabling politics.

Incidentally, I wouldn't write in Dave Matthews because I think he'd do a better job. I'd write him in so he'd be too busy to put out another album.

© Copyright 2007 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/547294-Erection-Day