*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/545147-busy-weekend
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#545147 added October 28, 2007 at 10:40pm
Restrictions: None
busy weekend
Last summer we had a silent auction at our church to begin a scholarship fund for graduating seniors. Bill offered three half hour flights around the area. We almost won, and agreed with the winner to split, a dinner for eight at the beautiful home of a couple from our church who are excellent cooks.

Thursday night we went to our auction dinner and such a good time. We began with Greek caviar, which is smooth and pink, rather creamy and mild in flavor. The entree was a succulent pork roast with an herbed center, very tender, accompanied by rice with hot peppers and a fruit salad. I'm sure there was a green vegetable too, but I can't remember it. The wine was a fine Seven Hills merlot, and the glass was never empty.

Saturday night was the church's annual Octoberfest, a benefit dinner for the Christian Aid Center, the local mission. Bill was the emcee, and that made it fun. Otherwise, it was pleasant but unremarkable, in contrast to many fine dinners with excellent talent we've had in the past.

Today we sang our stewardship song at the 8 o'clock and 10:30 services. It was fun, but I'm glad it's over. We sang a parody I wrote called, "Does Your Pledge Card Lose Its Flavor on the Pew Rack Overnight?" The point of it was to remind people who may have forgotten to turn in their pledges.

This afternoon we took the pump out of the fish pond, dipped out the rest of the leaves that have blown in, and covered it with a rack of PVC pipe supporting chicken wire to keep more leaves out. Then we suspended the heater from the middle. The poor, cold fish didn't even move when I netted leaves from beneath them. As the heater began to warm the water, they swam to the center to cluster in the 'spa.'

It really wasn't that I was too busy to blog. I haven't felt much like writing lately. Our priest's wife gave me her blog address on blogspot, and that of her sister and a friend. I found one from the priest there too, plus several others I've enjoyed and have now linked on my own page. I don't know why that reading would put a damper on my own writing, but it seems to have. For one thing, they all had beautiful pictures and layouts, and I don't know how to do all that. This blog serves another purpose for me. I need to remind myself of that, rather than make unfavorable comparisons with my own.

© Copyright 2007 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/545147-busy-weekend