*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/539738-Sputnik
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#539738 added October 5, 2007 at 11:05am
Restrictions: None
Sputnik
As I'm sure everyone had drummed into their heads, yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the launch of the first satellite, the Russian Sputnik I. Yesterday was also Poker Night. Combining these two observances, I felt it was necessary to invent a new alcoholic beverage and call it the Sputnik.

Sputnik
1 oz Stoli vodka (of course there has to be vodka involved somehow)
1 oz Shakka Apple (it's red. Get it? Red? Russia?)
1/2 oz Aftershock cinnamon schnapps (it's also red)
Splash grenadine (guess what color that is)
4 oz Club soda
Ice
Stick three toothpicks into a maraschino cherry in a swept-back configuration and drop it into the very red drink.

Trouble is, it's not a very tasty drink - but that is evocative of the sense of bitterness we felt in America that the damn Commies beat us into space.

Maybe next year I'll try it with pomegranate liqueur instead of Shakka Apple.

© Copyright 2007 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/539738-Sputnik