*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/538619-SNOW-Mirror-of-my-mind
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#538619 added September 30, 2007 at 2:10pm
Restrictions: None
SNOW! "Mirror of my mind"
Mirror of my mind

I do not see my hollow cheeks
or drooping eyes, the hair unruly,
always askew, I see the boy
who hated mirrors who only saw
a child in pain that begged him look away.
In vain, I search my mind for memories
that aren't attached to traumas, shattered glass
or bruised emotions. I stand in camouflage,
the rabbit of my heart still racing
across old rippling pools of thoughts
to erase whatever the mirror has caught.

© Kåre Enga [164.262] 2007-09-28

larryp mentioned in his poetry newsletter about how poets need to avoid clichés that weaken their writings. Among them was "mirror of my mind". I agree to a great extent but find them useful as prompts and even titles! The trick is to try to say something different, to use sparkling language, or to twist old clichés into something new.

Well, out of that grew the above poem ... written yesterday. Like all my new poems, it got a light 'trim around the ears' and will need a 'haircut'.

IMAGES:


Sylvan sunshine, fingers of pines touching across the road; fog rising to greet the clouds; chipminks eating and darting and ...; a wall of rocks reminding me of Sacsayhuaman in Peru; yarrow, lichen, tufts of grass and

SNOW! *Laugh*

Yep. Caught a flake or ten up on Mt. Rainier today.

         On top on Mount Rainy ... all covered with snow ...

We left at 6:40 in the morning and arrived atop at Sunrise before 10. I walked the Sourdough path past Frozen Lake (which wasn't) and then turned back. Earlier we caught a glimpse of old Mt. Rainy, but lots of clouds and fog. That was okay. I thought it was warm on the ridge.

On the way back we stopped in at the Federation Forest Interpretive Center. We had a very nice walk. Good place to stop. And my BIL took the long way back through Carnation (as in milk, now owned by Nestle) and saw plenty of cows and flower farms.

At Tijuana's I ordered una tostada de ceviche. Couldn't finish it, but I do like ceviche.

8 p.m. in Monroe, Washington: 48º, barometer 29.70 and a light rain.
161

© Copyright 2007 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/538619-SNOW-Mirror-of-my-mind