*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/534828-gardening-not-at-its-best
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#534828 added September 12, 2007 at 10:33pm
Restrictions: None
gardening not at its best
We've turned off the irrigation water even though the weather is still in the 80's. Our yard, which, other than plagued by oxalis, was beginning to look good, had developed a worse problem. The northestern corner was seriously wadable, although the sprinklers were still putting out, fooling us into thinking maybe it wasn't a leaky pipe underground. Wishful thinking.

Half the fish pond was suffering its own peculiar problem: the liner was floating. BIll had to cut a hole in the bottom to let the ground water in. He thought maybe we had a spring coming up in the yard, since we are only a yard away from a creek. We didn't know what we'd do if that was the case, and he hasn't pumped the pond out again to see if water returns with the main line turned off.

So tonight we'll head out to hand water. Not much longer, I suppose. Tomorrow I need to buy some more round-up. The beds I cleared along the fence for iris rhizomes I bought from the iris society are suddenly infiltrated with bermuda grass from the other side. Yuck. It is a nasty weed, and the roots go very deep. I'm not sure if I can get rid of it. It's in a narrow patch of yard between fence and shop with flagstones sunk in, but bermuda will go up and over anything, if not underneath.

I'm interested in gardening in the winter and early spring, but, you know, by September, I really don't care much. However, I've got to save what I can.


© Copyright 2007 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/534828-gardening-not-at-its-best