*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/534059-Nectarines---what-a-fruit
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#534059 added September 10, 2007 at 12:54am
Restrictions: None
Nectarines-- what a fruit!
This is just a lazy, late summer day. It was renewal Sunday at church, the day when Sunday school starts again and the choir is back from vacation, and the crowd is usually pretty good. We always have a Ministry Fair that Sunday, with displays and signup sheets for all the kinds of programs and ministries that go on there in the church. I’ve always thought we should have representation for the different ministries people are part of outside the church as well, but have never sold anybody on that idea. Maybe if I suggested if for a different Sunday, say, in January, and organized it myself it would fly.

Many people are active volunteers at Christian Aid, Meals on Wheels, Hospice, 4H, Boy Scouts, Habitat for Humanity, Symphony Guild, AAUW, and the Humane Society, to name just a few. I think it would be good for us, and maybe surprising for many, to see how many people do donate time and effort throughout the community. Sigh. I guess that means I ought to organize something, and organization is not one of my skills.

I don’t understand why some people have that gift and I don’t. (Neither did my mother or my husband. *Rolleyes*) I’m not good at organizing my household, my work schedule, even my blogs. Every decision for a particular way to do something is a decision against the other ways I haven’t thought of yet that might be better. At least that’s the way it feels to me.

Bill is sitting at the other laptop searching for possible airplane wreckage in Nevada on Google Earth. The pictures are updated and current to help everyone look for any sign of Steve Fossett, world famous aviator who piloted the first solo non-stop round the world airplane flight in 2005. He and his plane disappeared Monday, September 3.

I peeled and sliced half a flat of nectarines to freeze. They are so tangy-sweet and slurpy-juicy this year that this is our second boxful; but I can see they won’t hold up much longer as lunchbox fruit. So we'll enjoy them in oatmeal this winter, and will remember these soft, summer days.

As The 2000 Year Old Man used to say, "Nectarines-- half a peach, half a plum-- what a fruit!"

© Copyright 2007 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/534059-Nectarines---what-a-fruit