*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/525703-Santa-has-to-relocate-Putin-claims-North-Pole
by Joy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #932976
Impromptu writing, whatever comes...on writing or whatever the question of the day is.
#525703 added August 3, 2007 at 9:36pm
Restrictions: None
Santa has to relocate; Putin claims North Pole
          According to yesterday’s news, Russia is planting its rust-proof ftitanium flag under the North Pole with a bravado of undersea colonialism. The flag will be lowered down by two Russian submarines, in a capsule. Btw, doesn’t anyone remember what Russians did to their submarine Kursk when it stalled in deep waters?

         Dear Santa, please watch it; your territory is in jeopardy. But I think the fault lies with Al Gore. He shouldn’t raise Cain by making so much noise about the Arctic’s melting.

         According to sources, “Melting polar ice has led to competing claims over access to Arctic resources.”
         And…
         “President Vladimir Putin has already described the urgent need for Russia to secure its 'strategic, economic, scientific and defense interests' in the Arctic.”

         The guy has some nerve plus gall and wormwood to pull his weight and muscle against international laws. Current laws say countries may control only an economic zone of 200 nautical miles beyond their land borders. The North Pole is not currently regarded as part of any single country's territory and is therefore administered by the International Seabed Authority. Putin can’t just plant a flag anywhere he wants and claim it as his territory, unless it is in another galaxy and he and his buddies want to move away for good.

          Russia’s claim to a piece of international undersea property, because it is rich in oil, gas, and mineral reserves, is challenged by several countries, starting with USA and Canada, and rightfully so. Yet, Russians or rather Putin and the likes of him say this is “one heroic mission” or “scientific expedition.” They also claim “The Arctic is Russian.”

         Oh, puhleez! Are we still in the Middle Ages when people can put up a flag anywhere and claim the place as their own? Also, isn’t it strange that while Russia cannot even dig into its extensive natural resources in its own land (Siberia comes to mind), Putin stakes a claim to the Arctic?

         Here in WC, SM better hire some border patrol. I don’t like where this flag affixing is leading us to, next. Who knows who else will put up a flag on our site! *Wink*





© Copyright 2007 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/525703-Santa-has-to-relocate-Putin-claims-North-Pole