*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/523571-Foomp
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#523571 added July 24, 2007 at 11:51pm
Restrictions: None
Foomp!
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but:

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18619298&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_i...

To me it's simple. Rather than discouraging behavior such as this, we need to - well, not encourage it, exactly - but look the other way and let Nature take her course. It's obviously not enough to tell people, "Hey, you know, it's a Bad Idea to play with gasoline and matches." It's not enough to have news stories like this, in spite of which other people will try this again.

No.

It's time to let the stupid weed itself out. Chlorinate the gene pool. Between this and the practice of dancing on top of your car when it's in motion - forget the name of it, but it was apparently popularized in some rap video and copycatted by people across the country - and a host of other activities with potential gene pool cleaning, we have the potential to not just make social progress, but thin the herd of idiots who don't seem to understand that stupid things are stupid.

And by "idiots," I mean "people with no common sense," like this literal genius:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07242007/news/regionalnews/genius_dies_in_plunge_reg...

Don't get me wrong - I feel for the family and friends of people who Darwinize themselves. BUT I'd have to say that eventually, they'll realize that life is better without idiots around.

The world is too safe as it is. Protect people from other people, predators, and weapons of mass destruction, sure - but there's no damn point trying to protect people from their own bad judgement.

Okay, I'm mostly kidding about this one. Still, I read about someone doing something stupid just about every damn day, and it's not slowing down any.

© Copyright 2007 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/523571-Foomp