*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/521602-mondays
by spidey
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1207864
If you don't have a dream, how are you going to make a dream come true?
#521602 added July 16, 2007 at 12:06pm
Restrictions: None
mondays
Some Mondays, I have so much to do, I'm all over the place!

Today I sent in some more applications for BU. I want to work there so badly!! I have a good deal of experience working in offices (about 2 years total), and I'd be working at the same place my sister works! We could take our lunch breaks together! *Bigsmile*

I love working with family and friends. I know it can be difficult for some people, but I've worked with my husband, and my Mom & Gram, not to mention a lot of close friends. The problem that I think some people have with working with friends & family is that it really hurts when they're not pulling their own weight, or if they seem to start taking advantage of you. The way I got around that was that I tried to see it from their point of view. If they were having problems in another area of their life, chances are, I already knew about it. In most cases, they're not intentionally hurting you.

Of course, it's not a good idea to have family and friends as your boss... except in one situation, I've found that they can tend to take advantage of you, and there is little you can do about it.

In other news, I've thought of an idea for a writing workshop here. It's nothing fancy, and definitely not a "new, original" idea. There is so much focus on gps on this site, with raffles and auctions, etc. that seem to focus entirely on how much gps are being raised. I'm not condemming these activities, but I'd like to do something to focus some more attention on writing.

I had these great writing workshops in college. There were about 12 students and we'd all take turns with our writing. Each week, a new work was read and discussed by the class. We were encouraged to be positive, giving constructive criticism.

I'd like to start something like that here. I'm sure there are others like it already, but more couldn't hurt, right?

Each member would be required to write something new to be viewed only by the group (until the session is over), and each member would be required to read and comment on each work. There would be active discussions, so if someone says, "I didn't like it," the author could ask, "What particularly about it didn't you like?"

What do you think?

I'm wondering if I'd have the time to run this, though if I'm only the host and not a participant, it might not be too difficult for me. My only job would be to make sure everyone's participating (but I bet I'd end up reading the works, too).

Also, I'd have to focus on one type of writing or one genre at a time. I wouldn't want to mix poetry and short stories, for instance. I could alternate genres/types, but if I have 12 members, that's a 12-week session! Hm... Maybe a smaller group then, though I do want a good deal of members for optimal feedback.

I haven't been writing anything for some time, and I'm thinking at least if I'm not writing anything, I can help others with their own writing. *Smile*


© Copyright 2007 spidey (UN: spidergirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
spidey has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/521602-mondays