*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/520633-sweatstorm
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#520633 added July 12, 2007 at 11:07pm
Restrictions: None
sweatstorm?
It was over 100 today, and, squeezed into the small mission church for an ordination, we were all melting. Dripping. Clergy was to wear cassock, surplice and stole-- which is a lot of extra clothes on a hot day. The cassock is a full length, long sleeve, high collar black garment. The surplice is a white, flowy 3/4 length gown which goes over it. Even the stoles, usually several layers of silk or wool, hang heavily around one's neck on top of all the rest.

I had second and third thoughts about that degree of torture, but decided to go through it with the rest of the attending clergy. I brought my cassock home from church on Sunday. Had to go back today for a red stole-- a somewhat unusual combination. Bill transferred the cassock from his car, which we were in on Sunday, to mine so that I'd have it with me.
But oops, I forgot that the surplice was still at home in the laundry room. So there I was with just my civvies and a clerical collar. It's too bad if anyone thought I was a poor sport, but I considered the mistake providential. When I reached the church, I didn't have time to go home for it, and I was plenty hot even without those extra layers.

Now that I've been home long enough to cool off, I'd better get on with the things I need to do.

© Copyright 2007 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/520633-sweatstorm