*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/496601-032107---15-Years
Rated: 18+ · Book · Comedy · #1206540
Middle-Age Spread is NOT a Condiment!
#496601 added March 22, 2007 at 3:25am
Restrictions: None
03/21/07 - 15 Years
Today is my 15 year wedding anniversary. Fifteen years is a pretty good run by today's standards. However, it's nothing compared to an older couple that lived down the street from us.

My husband, Michael and I had just moved into our house, and of course we were all gung-ho about gardening and taking care of the outside of our home. One Sunday morning as we worked in the garden, the elderly couple who lived down the street walked past after church. They walked along holding hands, then stopped to say 'hello' to us. As we talked they told us how long they lived in their house, 63 years, and how long they had been married. I'll never forget the wife's words as she said, "We have been married 64 years, and it's still something new every day with this one," as she nodded her head in her husband's direction. He broke-out into a fit of laughter, and they stood there laughing together.

Sadly, the couple no longer lives down the street from us. They both passed away - first the wife, then the husband. But they left me with two images.

The first is how they could laugh together after all of those years of marriage. They had a familiarity with each other that only comes with time. You could see the love they had for each other just in the way they looked and talked together. And they were proud of the many years that they had shared.

Lastly, I will never forget the way they held hands as they continued on their way down the street. It was to make sure they wouldn't fall - that was part of it, but also because they loved each other. It was a sweet image and my husband and I watched in silence as they made their way home. I'm glad that we had the chance to talk to them that day.

And you know, she was right. I learn something new with my husband every day too. It may be something as simple as "I didn't know you couldn't spell that word," or "You saw 'Ghost' how many times?" But it is still a learning experience - a work in progress.

Maybe that's the key to a long marriage. You have to find that 'something new' everyday to keep it fresh. You have to laugh together. And you know, holding hands everyday, no matter what your age, isn't such a bad idea either.

Have a great day!

© Copyright 2007 Victoria (UN: vlm0325 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Victoria has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/496601-032107---15-Years