*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/496076-Comparisons
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#496076 added March 18, 2007 at 9:34pm
Restrictions: None
Comparisons
A newsletter ran an old story of mine recently, and I was embarrassed to see how poorly it was written. In fact, a number of things I wrote last year are painful to read. Not all, but some, and some of the ones I really liked at the time.

On the other hand, I read other people's pieces and have such mixed feelings. Ratings completely aside, some are excellent and some...well...aren't.

When I read my own, current things, I hope they're better. I hope that in the past ten months my writing has really improved. As I write, sometimes I think WOW! this is really good! Other times I'm thinking it stinks.

I started looking for contests for fiction that don't involve prompts, so I can get some feedback on the ones I think are good. There used to be a couple of them at least, but I can only find one now. When I read some of the entries, I didn't even want to enter. They were so good!

I don't know what I'll start on next, in my NoWriMo endeavor. Probably won't till I have time to work on it tomorrow.

In the meantime, spring has come. The daffodils are all in bloom, and all my winter clothes are toooooo hot. Especially on Sunday morning with a clerical collar on. Those things are plastic--did you know that? Sweaty. And of course we get an extra set of clothes on top of our clothes, and stand in the higher (therefore warmer) places in the church. I'm glad I'm not a priest: they wear even more layers of duds!

We've watched two movies this weekend, just finished Adam Sandler's Click. I guess I was in the mood for comedies, and I laughed and cried during it and last night's Fun with Dick and Jane as well. Not everybody's fare, I'm sure, but we enjoyed them.



© Copyright 2007 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/496076-Comparisons