*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/492019-Wow-Another-grandpet
by Joy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #932976
Impromptu writing, whatever comes...on writing or whatever the question of the day is.
#492019 added March 3, 2007 at 10:42am
Restrictions: None
Wow! Another grandpet!
My son G. just adopted three year-old a chow mix from the North Shore Animal League. I was so delighted when the lady called me to check up on his information. I am glad they care about who the owners are and if the pet will be cared for.

Although we live in Florida and our son lives in Long Island, I am delighted he has a pet. Just the news of the dog made me deliriously happy.

When we lived all together more than a decade and a half ago, our New Foundland Joe had become my son’s best friend. After the dog died and we moved away, he was hesitant to get another pet, because he was working too many hours. His schedule is better now; so I guess he believes he can keep a dog.

Funny thing is, I am dying to see the dog. He says he’ll send pictures, but he doesn’t want to make the dog too nervous by clicking the camera just yet. My son says the dog is already attached to him and follows him all around the place.

This doggie news brings lots of memories. When we had Joe and the kids got out of hand, I would tell them that the dog told me this or that, like time to go to bed. Since I was the only one (!) who could talk to the dog and my children were so innocent, I got away with this whopper for quite a while. Even after they caught on to me, the kids enjoyed the memory of Joe’s conversations. The deceit of Joe’s talk-ability never hurt my standing at all. Santa, on the other hand, was not as lucky.

Talking about talking to animals, I believe--even if they do not understand our exact words--they do understand us, especially if we let ourselves move into their energy and move along with them. Someone I once met who worked at a shelter had told me the same dog or cat who would not go along with one family and would end up getting returned would adapt perfectly with another family. Maybe pets, too, have character traits that can be matched with the owners.

Something very personal happens between me and most dogs I meet. The same thing is true of G.; yet, my husband and my other son are different. They sometimes say, “It is just an animal.”

Well, I know that. Just my heart doesn’t.

While I am writing this, I thought of telling my son to put a micro chip on the dog. If something happens to the dog, G. will fall apart and so shall I, even without meeting the dog.

If I ever get grandchildren, I’ll love them, I’m sure; although, I have a feeling I am saying I’ll love them out of social responsibility. *Laugh*

Right now, where grandpets are concerned I turn to jelly more.

Long live my new grandpet, Raven!

© Copyright 2007 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/492019-Wow-Another-grandpet