*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/491721-Fairs-Festivals-and-such
by Joy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #932976
Impromptu writing, whatever comes...on writing or whatever the question of the day is.
#491721 added March 2, 2007 at 8:42am
Restrictions: None
Fairs, Festivals and such...
We writers run out of ideas because we get bored by what is around us. What is around us can become so familiar that it feels dull and commonplace.

A writer, however, does not need to get on a plane or visit a foreign country to clear his head and help him focus him attention on a spectacular subject. His subject is usually around him, within walking distance, and sometimes not even that.

One’s home, his neighborhood, the people and the stuff they're trying to sell in garage sales can definitely make a writer come up with a myriad of ideas.

There are millions of stories in what people pick up and keep as trinkets throughout their lives. Try a white elephant sale, a county fair, or a local festival. You may end up feeling as if you knew the personal habits and longings of the people simply by the possessions they keep or try to sell. These types of activities happen every weekend and right close by.

All of these local gems are treasure-troves for ideas. Not only do they make our imaginations work, they give us insights into the characters we meet. Also, getting our feet wet in something new makes us humble and that humility keeps us open to new information and this makes us creative.

Feeling like we’ve seen everything means we've run out of ideas. As writers, we must accept more stuff is nearby to generate fresh perspectives and story opportunities for us.

And all this heehawing is because I am trying to psych myself up for the St. Lucie County Fair this weekend. *Laugh*

You can tell I don't like crowds, unless I get to watch them from a safe distance.

© Copyright 2007 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/491721-Fairs-Festivals-and-such