*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/490507-Fickle-Memories
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1031855
Closed for business, but be sure to check out my new place!
#490507 added February 25, 2007 at 12:37pm
Restrictions: None
Fickle Memories
I ran into Mark (the prospective agent) at lunch and asked him when I could meet with him to discuss my manuscript. He said to sit with him at his table and we could talk about it. I had tried, but his table was already full. I said I would try again at supper.

. . . .

I’m thinking here.

. . . .

One thing about conferences is there is so much going on, after only a few days it’s hard to remember what happened when, and in what order. Next time I’ll remind myself to write down what happens that day in a journal before I go to bed. Not only will I not be confused later, but it helps to disseminate (I love that word) what I learned.

Oh, I remember now! I sat at Mark’s table Friday night. I took the seat next to him so I wouldn’t have to talk over others during the meal. Plus if he were to say I suck as a writer and should give it up, no one else would hear it (kidding there, but still the thought occurred to me).

This is what he told me:

My writing is excellent and easy to read (I almost asked him if that means I write like a 3rd grader. You know, the "See Spot run" variety).

As for the story, I don’t have enough conflict at the beginning. He felt what took place was “too easy.”

If he were to grade it, he’d give it a solid B or B-. Considering I write in an as yet non-existent genre, my manuscript needs to be an A or A+.

He gave me some suggestions on how to create more conflict as well as lengthen the casino scene in order to increase the interest of male readers. He even gave me scripture passages better suited for specific scenes than what I had.

Mark then added, “Of course I do expect to see my name in your acknowledgments when it’s published.”

I laughed and said, “Absolutely.”

He then went on to describe what he needs from his clients when he sends out proposals to publishers.

Mark also didn’t care for the title. He suggested I go to the bookstore and check out titles of other science fiction books and see what they have to come up with something better.

All of his suggestions center on the beginning of the story. Writing a few scenarios in my head, the beginning scenes will change enough it will ripple throughout the entire book. That means I can’t simply edit my book, I have to rewrite it from beginning to end. That both scares me and excites me. While rewriting 100,000 words (more if it changes enough I have to rewrite my second book as well) scares me some, I believe doing so will only improve it.

All in all a good meeting. Though he didn’t say specifically he’d take me as a client, I’m thinking he will once my manuscript meets or exceeds his standards.

letgocling and I talked until about midnight Friday night discussing what happened with both of us that day. She said I really needed to write more of my monologues found in "Bible Monologues (The folder used to be titled “Out of The Shadows”, but I like this one better. What do you think?). We both agreed fictionalizing parts of the Bible from Genesis all the way through the New Testament might bring the Bible alive for people who see the Bible as a dry book full of thou-shalt-nots and never-ending genealogies (like I used to). I want to show characters just as flawed as the rest of us, but even so, God loved them and used them for greater purpose, the same as he does with us today. I've also found stories taking the Disciple Bible study I've never read before, and are just as "on the edge of your seat" interesting as the parting of the Red Sea, et al. The hard part will be finding a publisher. Most Christian magazines don’t take fiction, especially fictionalized portions of the Bible. I may have to write them as a book, not as a series of articles. That’s one thing I didn’t think to ask Mark about until after the conference. No matter. I have his email.

I slept more – five hours instead of two Friday night. I still endured a headache, but not as bad. I could at least think and absorb information.

Saturday I met with the editor of “Focus on the Family”. I had one article I thought would work.

She read through the entire thing which was a good sign. Since it dealt with my husband’s vasectomy reversal she said, “While it’s a well-written piece, we don’t deal with issues like this one. However, if you send articles on different subjects written like this, I have no doubt we’d be interested.”

The difference with this one compared to other articles I wrote is I told a story, not try to sermonize, or make some profound point. She said my piece would be better suited to a secular woman’s magazine complete with a sidebar on how other couples can have a vasectomy reversed successfully.

In the morning I attended the second half of a workshop entitled, “Novels They Can’t Put Down,” taught by James Scott Bell. The class was so good and so informative, I purchased (and had autographed) his book called, “Plot and Structure”, the book he based his class on.

I learned more in the afternoon workshop called, “Thick Skinned Manuscript Clinic” instructed by Andy Scheer and Jerry Jenkins. They critiqued 6 fiction and 6 nonfiction 2-page samples submitted by conferees wanting their work critiqued by these masters.

I knew about 80% of what they pointed out in the samples. What startled me though was how badly most of them were written, both in structure and in content. I could tell by the end of the session Jerry Jenkins was frustrated at having to point out the same things over and over again.

Makes me glad I didn’t submit any examples of my writing (I know he’d cringe at this entry). Still, I would like to next year (that reminds me, I need to sign up soon if I want to save $75). letgocling submitted a sample last year. You should ask her about it. It’s actually quite humorous.

Again, I’ve gone on long enough. My brain capacity is holding at 72%, but my fingers are getting tired.

To be continued . . .

© Copyright 2007 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/490507-Fickle-Memories