*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/489334-Mindless-Drivel
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #464720
You supply the reading. I'll supply the writing.
#489334 added February 20, 2007 at 3:05pm
Restrictions: None
Mindless Drivel
I've got a very patient kitty cat laid out on my lap with his head and front paws resting on my fore arm as I try to type this. He's purring and looks soooooooo cute...well he was purring before I started typing. I'm trying not to disturb him but it's not easy. It's too bad I can't type with only my left hand. Captial letters and deleting stuff is a problem right now. I'll see how this goes.

It's my dad's birthday today. I phoned mum last night to ask her for any suggestions on what I could get him. It's not easy because they don't need or want anything. Mum suggested I get him some gift certificates from a local restaurant, (that's what I usually end up getting them anyways). I couldn't get out yesterday due to a snowstorm so I rushed into town first thing this morning only to find the restaurant didn't open for another hour, so I decided to do some shopping in the meantime.

I didn't have anything in mind when I went in one of the big chain grocery stores. I just wandered up and down the aisles with my squeeky cart, (how come I always seem to get a wonky shopping cart? Mine squeeked and veered all over the place) Can't say I'm all that impressed with the big grocery chain's corporate jingle they piped over their loud speakers...

We've got lots of stuff and stuff and stuff
for you,
Lots of stuff and stuff and stuff
it's true.
And the stuff we want to get rid of
we've got way more than enough of
coz raising prices and screwing you
is what we do.
Thank you for shopping ****** s.


At least they're up front about their gouging. It's shocking to see how much a few bags of groceries can come to. All the grocery chains around here are owned by one of two companies so we don't have the competition we used to have. I used to travel quite a ways to a local independently owned grocery store. They stocked stuff I never saw in the major chains. They used to have some incredible buys. Massive containers of raspberry ripple ice cream or great big bags of frozen strawberries for only a couple dollars. Their specials were only a fraction of the cost anywhere else. Eventually one of the major chains bought them out and now I hardly ever go to that town. Why bother when there's a similar chain store in virtually every town anyways, all selling the same over priced stuff.

While I was waiting in line at a checkout I noticed the woman paying the cashier. She was quite pretty and we made brief eye contact. No big deal. I then turned to look at some chocolate bars that were on sale near me and soon noticed the woman standing nearby, looking at something or other and shortly noticed she was back in line again. I have no idea if her getting back in line had anything to do with me or not but I'll pretend it did. *Smile*

While I waited for the restaurant to open, I also went into a huge hardware store that recently opened up here. Now they do have some fantastic buys. I avoid going into that store as I have a weakness for buying tools. They had a rotary tool on sale there for under $9.00. I had bought one sometime ago on sale for $50 and thought I was getting a good buy, but $8.99! I ended up walking out with an armload of stuff. I like hardware stores.

When I handed the restaurant gift certificates to dad he looked disappointed and said "We don't go there anymore" which made me feel real great. He then must have realized how thrilled I was to hear that and thanked me. Dad has a way of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, just like my grandmother did also. I hope I don't take after them...but I probably do...saying stuff without thinking first.

What a crappy entry huh? I now feel bad for disturbing my patient and cuddly kitty cat.









"Invalid Item"   by A Guest Visitor
"Invalid Item"   by A Guest Visitor
"Invalid Item"   by A Guest Visitor

*Right*Check This Out*Right* "The Amazing Race Club *Left*Check This Out*Left*

© Copyright 2007 Thumbsucker (UN: thumbsucker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Thumbsucker has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/489334-Mindless-Drivel