*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/483250-State-of-the-Union
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#483250 added January 23, 2007 at 11:05pm
Restrictions: None
State of the Union
When I was young, I thought that the State of the Union address, was a speech the president made about a particular state, like, State of the Year. I thought they'd probably work out a way to cover all states over the years. But that would take cooperation among the different parties in power. So now I know that, even though my premise was wrong, my expectation was impractible as well.

I will stand up with the minority to say I thought the speech was good, particularly the line about "nobody voted for failure." I hate to hear all the politicians posture to look smartest and best; it's disgusting. I'm sorry I don't have more respect for them, but I haven't seen one yet who I don't think would declare white "black" for the vote.

The world is full of second guessers, and I am one among them; but darn, it's so unattractive! Wouldn't it be great to hear someone say, "Yes, I thought that too, but evidently we were wrong. I'm beginning to favor the plan, and am gathering facts on both sides of the argument." Naw, that would be too weak. Too bad.

It was interesting to watch Nancy Pelosi's face, not at all passive. Was she really weighing and measuring what the President said, or was she planning what she'd say to attack the speech later? Or was she trying to decide when she should stand up and when not? That would be tricky! Wouldn't it be awful to stand up, and then see the rest of your party still sitting, glaring at you? Or vice versa?


© Copyright 2007 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/483250-State-of-the-Union