*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/481249-Chapter-8-Days-End
Rated: 13+ · Book · Sci-fi · #1189944
An attempt at a science fiction novel by a amateur writer.
#481249 added January 14, 2007 at 11:40am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 8-Days End
“What kind of problems exactly?” Joseph asked, his curiosity peaked.

“Our survey team was killed.”

“What?!” Takeshi yelled, “Who the hell would do such a thing?!”

“Initial reports seem to indicate the Nevians, though it could be anyone, maybe even pirates. The survey ship barely escaped, though it didnt see anything. It was a ways away at the time it heard the last transmission.” Catherine said calmly, picking up a computer scroll and looking it over intently.

“I dont believe this. Now what do we do? If the Nevians are going to try and stop us we sure as hell are going to need more than two battlecruisers.” Joseph said, annoyed by the recent development.

“Its worse than you think.” Catherine responded.

“How so?” Joseph asked.

“The Alma has been seen in orbit over Thule.”

“The Alma?! You cant be serious.”

“I'm afraid so. I have already talked to the military though. The military has agreed to provide one other cruiser, the Delnorian, in an attempt to dissuade the Nevians.”

“Three battlecruisers are no match for that monstrosity.” Takeshi said. Catherine knew he was right, they didnt have a chance if the Nevians chose to launch an all out attack.

“Thats why we are launching in secret. We send the convoy here.” she said as she pointed to something on her scroll..

“Thats an asteroid field, a very large one at that. We hide the convoy there for a few days then attempt to jump out. They cant track us if we do it correctly.”

“And if they find us?” Joseph asked.

“We attempt to fight them off, its not as if we are entirely defenseless. We have three battlecruisers and a mercenary force protecting us, dont forget that.” Catherine said, still calm and collected.

“This is just great.” Joseph said, leaning back in his chair.

“Its not as if we are forcing you to go along with us. If you think this is a fool's mission then stay here, or better yet, return to your little backwater station and continue to live in shame.” Catherine said, She was starting to get annoyed by Joseph's arrogant nature.

“I might as well not have a choice.”

Suddenly Catherine held her hand up to her ear, much in the same way the yound man in the lobby had. She held it there for over a minute, Joseph and Takeshi waiting nervously for any news she had to give them.

“Well, its time. Were moving out.”

“What? Now? Why are we leaving so soon?” Takeshi asked, a confused look on his face.

“The Nevians have started moving, we need to go.” Catherine responded.

“Ok so what do we do?” Takeshi asked.

“Head for the transport, I will meet you there.”

“Ok.”

Takeshi stood up and walked out of the office. Joseph didnt budge.

“What is it now Joseph?” Catherine asked as she slumped down in her chair.

“Why are you letting us go with you?”

“I'm still asking myself that same question. I guess you could say...”

“What?”

“I long for company.”

With that, Joseph got up and walked towards Takeshi, who was waiting outside of the office. Catherine stayed seated, she still had things to do in the short time before the transport brought them to the Victoria.

The two men gone, Catherine returned to business. She held her hand to her ear and initiated a link to Sateros Kremlin. Her mind went blank, her body stiff. All her energy was focused on the message.

“What is it Catherine, I'm very busy.” he said, his voice still resonating. Even in his mind was he the same.

“You read the report I'm guessing, the one about the Alma?”

“Yes, its true, the emporer is personally overseeing the endeavor.”

“May I ask a question?” Catherine asked, becoming a little nervous. She wasent used to talking to someone so high up.

“Of course you may.”

“How do you know that?”

“We have an agent on the inside.” Sateros responded, still calm.

“Who?”

“I can't tell you that my dear.”

“I see.”

“If you dont mind my asking, are you still planning on jumping through the asteroid field?”

“Yes.” Catherine said. She knew what the response would be, and dreaded hearing it.

“It wont work, you do know that?”

“Of course I do. What choice do we have though?”

“None.” Sateros said back, his tone cold.

The transmission then cut off abruptly. Something else was coming through. The signal that the ship was about to leave. Catherine got up from her seat and headed to the elevator.

“Why do I even bother?” Catherine thought to herself.

The ride down was a short one, she only needed to go a few levels down. The elevator stopped and the doors slowly opened, revealing the entry to the transport. Joseph and Takeshi were standing near the ships entrance, apparently waiting for her. She walked up to them, hoping any conversation between them would be short.

“When is this ship leaving anyways?” Joseph asked, a small smile on his face that annoyed Catherine as much as anything else about him.

“Half an hour.” she said as she continued to walk. Joseph came up beside her. Catherine picked up her pace, hoping he would get the idea.

“Don't act like that, I havent done anything.” Joseph said.

“Its not what youve done, its your attitude.” Catherine responded, now at the airlock to the ship.

“I dont have an attitude.”

“Of course you don't, how could a man as great as yourself possibly have any flaws.”

She walked through into the airlock, the heavy door closing behind her. She could hear Joseph ranting about her to Takeshi. Why she invited them was a mystery to her.

The airlock quickly went through its cycles and soon Catherine was onboard the transport. She walked through the halls until she got to her quarters, which where located near the bottom end of the ship.

She punched in the code for the door and entered the smal room. The room was far from being luxurious. A small, one person bed sat in the center of the room, flanked by two benches. Through a door on the left was the equally small bathroom. A closet stood on the right.

She walked over and sat on the bed, knowing it wouldnt be long.
© Copyright 2007 Virtual_Space (UN: virtualspace at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Virtual_Space has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/481249-Chapter-8-Days-End