*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/479783-News-of-the-Wrong
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#479783 added January 7, 2007 at 4:01pm
Restrictions: None
News of the Wrong
Yes, folks, it's time for another installment (well, okay, the first one for this blog) of the Wrong.

First, from Seattle, well... I'm not sure how I feel about this, so I'm just going to run it up the flagpole and see who moons it.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420AP_WA_Ashleys_Treatment.html?source=mypi...

Nine-year-old named Ashley recently completed 2 1/2 years of treatments.

The treatments included a hysterectomy, the removal of her breast buds, and a course of estrogen.


On the other hand, I do know how I feel about this one:

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0104stunt-imitator04-ON.html

Tragically, 11-year-old Wallison Costa didn't heed the warning.

The Philadelphia boy was hospitalized in critical condition day after he leapt from a second-story window and fell 10 feet, landing on his head.


The show may be called "Jackass," but I hereby dub its imitators "Dumbass." I mean, come on: as much as certain people would like us to think so - the article linked above comes a hair's breadth from out-and-out saying it - it's not the show's fault. It's not the movie's fault. It's not video games' fault. The fault rests squarely on the shattered, contused shoulders of the idiots who do this crap. And, okay, maybe with the parents.

I wish the Darwin Awards would apply to children; I'd nominate this one in a minute for at least an honorable mention.

A congealed glob of blood still marks the spot where Costa landed.

At least it's not a cross, wreath and teddy bear.

Finally, from Oz, this one just makes me want to perform the old eye-for-an-eye bit:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21009904-421,00.html

*Sick* *Sick* *Sick*


In other news, I finished the book "Freakonomics" that I mentioned a few days ago. So you don't have to scroll back, I'll link it again:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0061234001/102-2177345-6927354

I should probably do a formal review of it, but in brief, I'd recommend the book to anyone. The writing style is accessible, and while there may be some logical leaps that are hard to follow, for the most part the material is presented convincingly. It surely pisses off a lot of people, which adds to its appeal to me - many people like to use emotional arguments when logic is called for, and this book applies logic ruthlessly, presenting facts and dispelling popular myths. We may not like some of the conclusions it reaches, but they're hard to refute.

I especially recommend it to anyone who's contemplating baby names... Yes, I mean you, Melissa is fashionably late! *Bigsmile*

© Copyright 2007 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/479783-News-of-the-Wrong