*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/478999-Watchbands
by Joy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #932976
Impromptu writing, whatever comes...on writing or whatever the question of the day is.
#478999 added January 4, 2007 at 10:31am
Restrictions: None
Watchbands
Hubby and I, some time ago, bought his and hers watches. Since I wear my watch all the time and he almost never wears his, his watch stayed intact. My watch, too, is alive and well, despite a few close calls because of me entering the shower while I wore it.

My watchband, however, was not as lucky. Time and wrist took care of the leather, splitting it open. I tried to get the same watchband--even a similar one, but couldn't find any, part of it because I neither like nor can stand shopping for too long.

After a disappointing ordeal, it occurred to me to try a metallic band I had kept from a deceased watch, (deceased because I swam with it for a long time, at least a long time for me). Anyhow, I had always liked its metallic gold-and-silver band, because it had never given me any trouble and I slipped it easily on or off my wrist.

When I tried to put that band to my bandless watch, the pins didn't match. I was about to utter something I would bleep when I realized I could take out the pins from the broken band and insert them into the pipings of the metallic band and when I did that, voila! Everything fit.

Now, I have a watch again; although, it doesn't quite fit with the his-and-hers idea, which is obsolete anyway, since hubby never wears his watch and constantly badgers me, asking me the time wherever we go.

After all this, I came across a watchband site (yes, there is one!) on the net. The site features many fancy leather straps made by craftsmen in Austria. Each band was unique but the color and design of one of these straps looked just about the same as the band that broke away. I readied myself to pay $107 and almost ordered it, then I chickened out.

The band was made of a crocodile skin. I would feel icky wearing that on my skin constantly. As much as I like the looks of it, I do not like the idea of snake skin or crocodile skin. No, I am not afraid of snakes. I rather like them... from afar.

We are all conditioned by our circumstances, whether we admit to it or not. Maybe my disgust has to do with the snake, the apple, and Eve combination. Whatever it is, I just saved $107, and who can not want that?




© Copyright 2007 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/478999-Watchbands