*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/478978-An-Exercise-in-Creative-Visualization
Rated: 18+ · Book · Emotional · #954458
Bare and uncensored personal expression. Beware!!!
#478978 added January 4, 2007 at 8:27am
Restrictions: None
An Exercise in Creative Visualization
There is an exercise from Pen on Fire by Barbara DeMarco-Barrett that I've been putting off doing for a few days now and I've finally decided to settle in and get it done. I'm using this blog entry as an excuse because I couldn't think of any other interesting topics to ramble about and I guess I can kill two writes with one session here.

"Invalid Post"  

A few months ago I dreamed one of my rare dreams. Again it wasn't something for a story and it wasn't really something that related to real life or an internal issues. It was a room, a beautiful haven where I could write, an office of my own. I wandered through my dream, a visualization of what I would really love to create for myself.

The building was located conveniantly in my back yard. It was build of beautiful jarrah timbers from floor to ceiling and had large glass windows and a single glass sliding door facing the house. The windows looked out on vista's grass on one side, a water garden on another and on the third a small flower garden lovingly tended by my children.

In the flower garden was a small mushroom-shaped, brightly painted cement table with toadstool chairs. My kids could sit with their drawing in the fractured sunlight under a white sunshade. The grass on the opposite side of the building was lush and green. It looked soft and smelt freshly cut with enough room to kick a ball around. The water garden was an array of rocks and ceramic animals and birds surrounding a lagoon like pond with waterfall and fountain. The water shattered over the rocks and tumbled into the water where giant koi fish swam lazily beneath a mesh casement.

Inside the room the wood is polished a glorious honey-gold. In one corner a soft, fluffy rug covers the floor and bright embroidered pillows are scattered in haphazard piles, a bean bag and a lazy chair create a circle of warm and sunlight bounces into the corner creating a halo of light and harmony. A small coffee table partitions the rest of the room from the little reading and relaxing nook.

Against one wall, looking out over the flower garden, are two mahogany desks. On one is my desktop computer and my various awry of papers and books stacked in chaotic piles. On the shelf above the monitor there are basic reference books quick to hand and down the side is a collection of disks and flash drives. The chair is a large, comfortable black leather on wheels with a bright yellow cushion and under the table is a matching footstool, my sandle slotted beneath them as I wander the room barefoot.

On the other desk is my closed laptop and more books and papers as well as two opened notepads and an exercise book. Beneath the desk the three drawers pull out to reveal a filing cabinet lined with folders, neatly labelled. A pin board is against the wall near this desk that has a few scraps of paper, quotes, outlines, and various other codes I keep nearby for reference and inspiration as well as a calender with various dates circled for future publication events.

The longest wall, with no windows is a ranged bookshelf. It's covered with books of all sorts and there is one section in the middle that's got books with my own name on the spine. The shelf above and below have various awards and photographs displaying my accomplishments and in the cabinet below are a couple of boxes where I keep spare copies of my own books to give away.

There is a three seater floral lounge chair with it's back facing the shelves that looks out the sliding door upon the water feature and in the far corner a rocking recliner faces the window overlooking the grass. Beside the recliner is a simple counter and bar fridge with a few kitchen amenities where I can poor myself a hot cup of tea or a cool glass of soda. The room is specifically designed for relaxation while writing. With the laptop I can take position anywhere in the room and write or take my work out with me whereever I go. There are pictures on the walls and the room emenates a creative aura of warmth and vibrant spirit.

This is my office, with a portable phone and internet access, a revered collection of books, and a chaotic and yet harmonied environment for me to write in. A place of inspiration, where I can leave the family life and come to work but within reach of the conveniences of home.

© Copyright 2007 Rebecca Laffar-Smith (UN: rklaffarsmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rebecca Laffar-Smith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/478978-An-Exercise-in-Creative-Visualization