*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/478046-Reading-Pen-On-Fire---Feeling-Inspired
Rated: 18+ · Book · Emotional · #954458
Bare and uncensored personal expression. Beware!!!
#478046 added December 31, 2006 at 8:47am
Restrictions: None
Reading: "Pen On Fire" - Feeling: "Inspired"
I went to the library yesterday and borrowed a handful of books about writing. I do that occasionally. I also have a shelf full of writing books and from time to time I invest in more books about writing. I devour as much as I can. When it comes to writing I know a fantastic amount of theory. Putting it into practice is something different. lol

Anyway, I was reading this latest book. It's called "Pen On Fire" by Barbara DeMarco-Barrett and is toted as: "a busy woman's guide to igniting the writer within". I have to say that it certainly lives up to both it's title and it's cover blurbs. This book is filled with short, easy to read and completely relatable chapters and at the end of each chapter there are fanastic 15 minute writing prompts.

I'm almost finished the book but had to take a break to ensure I get my blog written before midnight. I'm doing well time wise on that behalf. It'll be New Years soon. Only 1 hour and 20 minutes until 2007. But the house is quit, the light ahead is a little bright and the screen glares. I'm tired, but I have to blog and I want to finish reading this book.

I'm feeling really encouraged and inspired. This is often how I feel when I read books about writing. When I'm mellow and full of self doubt about my direction in life I take up a book about writing and reenergise myself and my believe in my ability. There are some fantastic books that do this brilliantly and "Pen On Fire" is one of them.

In fact, the books inspired me so much I'm trying to spread my inspiration. *chuckles* Last night I thought, "Wow, I should get a chat room full of us together doing these exercises." So today I did. The chat room at the time only had me, Anyea and tirzahlaughs in it but I convinced them both to give it a go and so we wrote for the first prompt in the book for the 15 minutes given, together.

I put together a forum where we could each share our work. Later today I encouraged rain and Fizzgig to give it a shot and joined them for that one. I also posted the one I wrote last night when I first read the exercise. All of them are posted at: "Invalid Item and I invite anyone who's looking to reignite their writing to join us there and take part in the challenges. If you want to do it together let me know and I'll break out 15 minutes to do it with you. *Smile*

Each day I plan to add and complete a new exercise from the book. Each of these exercises and reading the chapters have really inspired me and shown me the multitude of material we have in our lives to draw from. The book talks about many of the aspects we as writers face that hinder our desire to write. For me this book comes at a time when I need to hear it most. I've often found that with books. Right when I need one it lands in my hands from somewhere. Each time I read a book it highlights something unique that I needed to hear NOW. I could read the same book over and over and get something new that I missed before but need to hear today.

I've almost finished reading Pen On Fire and I have a notepad blooming with prompts and concepts and lists. It's even settled me into focusing on a new project. With Flight of Torque on the wayside for the time being I had to find a drive to begin a new novel to focus on. Something that challenges me but captures the essence of why I want to write. Not something I write just because I want my writing to make money but something that touches the core of why I'm a writer and allows me to express my passion for language in a topic I truly love to write.

The concept is starting small. It will take a lot of brain storming and I'm not sure it's the right one yet. There are so many ideas in my mind churning away thanks to this book I'm reading. I know as I give them time to do their thing I'll find and develop something that will be right. Now, time to finish reading the book. *grins* G'night, Happy New Year Everyone and come check out "Invalid Item

© Copyright 2006 Rebecca Laffar-Smith (UN: rklaffarsmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rebecca Laffar-Smith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/478046-Reading-Pen-On-Fire---Feeling-Inspired