*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/474766-Christmas-trees-and-Christmas-symbols
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#474766 added December 13, 2006 at 3:22pm
Restrictions: None
"Christmas" trees and Christmas symbols
Last week Sea-Tac airport in Seattle removed all its holiday tree decorations because a local rabbi threatened to sue if they didn't add a menorah to the seasonal decor. The port received hundreds of protests; and the rabbi, who received a considerable volume of hate mail, said he'd had no intention of trying to destroy the Christmas tradition. He only wanted the Jewish icon, the menorah, included. The port said they'd simply remove the trees and make a decision about future holiday decoration, perhaps "religions of the world" or "snowmen," after the pressure of the holiday season traffic is over.

Today they gave in to pressure and reinstated the trees.

Personally, I can't see why they removed the trees. "Christmas" trees have nothing to do with Christianity, really, do they? A menorah, on the other hand, has only to do with a religion, Judaism. Trees and stars are as secular as snow, unless they have a creche under them. A creche, a manger scene, is definitely a Christian symbol.

Our city hall allowed its grounds to be used for a "living nativity" for a few December nights each year, and it has now been moved to property belonging to a bank. The city property was a convenient and attractive place for such a pageant, but it didn't belong there, even though the city's population is far more Christian than any other persuasion. If the city provides a place for a Christmas celebration, it needs to be made available for Succoth and Ramaden and Kwanzai and any other religious activity some denomination chooses. Did I hear someone say 'Bingo'? *Bigsmile*

We did stop to see the "living nativity" one night in its old location, a very cold night with temperatures well below freezing and ice on the roads. The participants warmed their hands over fires, and the sheep and donkeys shorted clouds of cold breath into the air. There was a lot of milling about, rather than a scheduled performance, and that added to the realism.

There is a large, well publicized "living nativity" in a larger town nearby. It draws thousands of people on the nights it is performed. Bill always jokes that it's probably a miracle they can find actual pregnant virgins who are willing to give birth in front of a live audience each night. *Blush*


HEY - I NEVER said they were 'Virgins' (Bill)

© Copyright 2006 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/474766-Christmas-trees-and-Christmas-symbols