*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/473215-Bah-Humbug-is-Spreading
by Ho Tep
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #900612
The ups and downs of being single in your 30's...early 30's that is.
#473215 added December 5, 2006 at 11:51am
Restrictions: None
Bah Humbug is Spreading
I get an IM from Mark first thing this morning saying "this is going to be the shittiest xmas ever." Not his typical "morning," or "hi" that I was expecting so I replied with "why?"

Better sit down for this one and hold your jaw as it is about to drop. First we have his sister-in-law Karen. She has decided she is not going to give anyone a Christmas list for her or Brendan, Mark's nephew, until Mike, Mark's brother/Karen's husband, lets her get a 3rd dog. Yep, I said 3rd...and they have a bird and a guinea pig too. How stupid is that?! So this is putting Mike in a bad mood, but then also puts him in the middle between his family and his wife.

Then we have Mark's sister, Michelle. Since their mother has passed she has taken the responsibility of bringing everyone together for the holiday's and making the holiday dinners. When things don't go as she has planned attitude forms...big attitude. So with Karen acting the way she is, she basically told Mike that if Karen doesn't change her ways then she isn't welcome to Christmas dinner. Nice, eh?! I can understand it, but I feel bad for Mike being stuck like that.

Oh no, we are not done yet. Then there is Adrian, Mark's step-father. Since Mark's mom passed, almost 3 years ago, he has distanced himself and has been spending most of his time with his newly found daughter (she's in her fourties and they just got reunited 2 years ago). Not sure of the reason, but he has told the family he doesn't want to exchange gifts this year. He also is upset with Mark because he will be working at his 2nd job the weekend before Christmas. A little side note...when Mark's mom passed they had her cremated and she was kept in a box with Mark. Last summer they finally picked up the urn for her, but that is as far as it has gotten. As you can see there has been no rush with the family to put her in the mausoleum. Now, for whatever reason, Adrian is insiting she must be put in the mausoleum by Christmas.

So as you might imagine, this puts Michelle in an even worse mood. With all this crap annoying her she keeps calling Mark and giving him attitude.

I feel bad because Christmas is Mark's favorite holiday...more than most. Every room, bathrooms and bedrooms included, are decorated to the point there is practically no room to set a cup down. He looks forward to all the family being around and exchanging gifts and the whole thing. When his sister comes to town she takes over his place. Now that he is in an apartment it is even harder as space is limited, but she still insists on bringing her two bunnies, plus all her gifts, her own crap and then she brings all this extra stuff to make Christmas dinner with. Mark never complains about it.

I told him if his family keeps acting like poops I am stealing him away to go to Christmas with me. There is no way he is having a bad Christmas if I have anything to do with it. He laughed, but knows I am serious! *Smile*

© Copyright 2006 Ho Tep (UN: yellow1671 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ho Tep has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/473215-Bah-Humbug-is-Spreading