*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/467592-So-Rants-a-Parasite
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1031855
Closed for business, but be sure to check out my new place!
#467592 added November 9, 2006 at 12:26am
Restrictions: None
So Rants a Parasite
When I began my blog, and during those times I’ve rethought its focus, I’ve made certain promises. The biggest one is never to talk about politics. The closest I’ve come was yesterday’s entry encouraging people to vote, and writing about Corretta Scott King’s (Martin Luther King Jr’s wife) memorial service.

The other promise, and I made it recently, was to never write about what other people discuss in their blogs unless it’s positive. Doing so only creates controversy and heated response, and I’m debate-shy.

Sometimes, however, it’s necessary to break a promise if I feel strong about the subject, so strong I can’t keep my mouth shut and let it go. This is one of those times.

I also get tired of always giving into my fears, but that’s another blog topic.

I’ve read twice so far in the last week of humans being compared to parasites.

Microsoft Word's dictionary defines parasite as:

1. Organism living on another: A plant or animal that lives on or in another, usually larger, host organism in a way that harms or is of no advantage to the host.

2. Scrounger: Somebody who lives off the generosity of others and does nothing in return.

To me, a fellow human describing his or her species thus smacks of self-loathing, as if we have no good or redeemable characteristics, and therefore the world would be a better place if we did not exist.

Are we only what the above defines? Did God make an error in creating mankind?

Maybe it’s my optimism, my desire to look for and see only the good and positive in this world that has blinded me to the opinion we are nothing but parasites, achieving no good or making positive contributions to the world around us.

Is my optimism wrongly placed? Should I also loathe the creation God loves the most? Have we only caused damage, never once made things better for the rest of creation and each other? If so, perhaps I should give up trying to do good, to leave this world a little more joyful and bright than when I arrived. How about I take the ultimate step and kill myself, encouraging the rest of mankind to do the same before I do? Hell, if not suicide, at least having my own children should be out of the question now. No sense in birthing other parasites and have them contribute to further destruction of what otherwise would be a perfect world.

Addendum: I do acknowledge the use of ‘parasite’ may not have been intended in the way I described it, that those who use it don’t honestly despise mankind. Nevertheless, I needed to write this, because I can’t help but take the comparison personal.

Okay, I’ve had my say. You’re welcome to rip my words apart now.

© Copyright 2006 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/467592-So-Rants-a-Parasite