*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/464610-What-a-week-Im-having
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1141791
Ummm...this is my blog. Yeah, that's it...my blog.
#464610 added October 26, 2006 at 5:11pm
Restrictions: None
What a week I'm having!
GPs for the movie I got the entry title from.

I'm so glad this week is almost over. Man, it's been a doosie (sp???).

Recently we've had quite a bit of rain up here. Thus the handle. Well, apparently basements in old houses will flood from time to time. This was one of those times. Most of our stuff that we haven't gone through yet from the move is in plastic totes. We thought it was safe enough but last Friday night we started smelling gas-like fumes and went to investigate. There was about 4-6 inches of standing water in the front and back of the basement. The front has never had water in it and the back usually dries very quickly thanks to the tiny drainage moat around the permimeter. (Which is backed up right now thanks to some blockage that we can't see). Not this time. All we could see in the back were some of our plastic totes floating around. I immediately became very panicked. We still had paperwork and pictures that we hadn't gone through. Our entire CD colletion and most of the DVDs are still down there as well. It was too flooded at the time for us to go through, so Trot and I went and stayed at MIL and FIL's because of the gas fumes. *Sick* (We think the fumes came from the lawn mower gas can, FYI.)

Today I went to asses the damage and start cleaning things up a bit. Oh man, it smells so bad down there because a lot of stuff is still damp plus, like I said earlier, the little drainage moat is backed up and there is some nasty smelling, standing water.

A few weeks ago I boxed up all of Trot's clothes he can't wear anymore and now I'm having to wash them again. Yep, wet and stinky. Also the quilt I made for him before he was even born. And my Nani blanket (Nani was my daddy's mom). And an afgan (sp??) Memaw crocheted. LORD!!!

There was a tote with some Christmas items in it. Not ornaments, but like figures that you would set up to make a town sceen or something. They had some lovely, fuzzy mold growing on them. *Sick*

Good news...CDs, video games, and DVDs made it. Bad news...all of my Disney VHS tapes are ruined. Not that we even have a VCR anymore, but now it will cost a fortune to replace those. What about those other VHS tapes that I had hanging around?? Bone dry. Yep, Red Sonja is still intact. *Rolleyes* I guess I can still try and sell them at least. But I would rather those have been ruined and not been able to sell them than the Disney ones getting wet at all. Oh well. Moving on.

I thought things were going to be okay, because I was able to save most of the Christmas ornaments that got wet and even the ones that were damaged were ones that I could easily part with. Then I came arcoss a really heavy tote. Crap, this one must have water in it. I opened it up and my panic-y feeling I had last Friday night came to flooding all over me again. (Pun intented) Pictures, hubby's Army certificates, baseball cards, misc paperwork. I started boo-hooing. Lord, even the U.S. flag that he flew on his Hum-V during Desert Storm was falling apart it was so saturated from the rain.

*Cry**Cry**Cry*
I just stood there bawling, peeling pictures apart, hoping that I could salvage everything. All of the pictures were pre-digital camera.
*Cry**Cry**Cry*

More good news. We have no idea how to regulate the heat in the upstairs apartment. Our tenants either freeze to death or die from the heat. Yea, another maintenance call. Our renters are so great though. Very understanding and patient.

And...one of the branches on our birch tree broke and was lying on some power lines so we had to call the fire department and they came and then said we needed to call the power company, but they couldn't come out right away because there were power outages that needed to be addressed. The tree has now been taken care of but we will have to wait until this weekend to borrow FIL's truck to haul it out of the yard.

GAWD!!!!

You know what though? Things are getting better and better between me and hubby. *Delight* I feel that we are enjoying each other's company again and we are laughing more, which is always good in my opinion. And we've been having more...ummmm..."together time" if you know what I mean. *Wink**Wink* nod, nod. *Bigsmile*

And if you think about our flooded basement in the grand scheme of things it's not so bad. First of all, having a basement means you own a house and that's always a good thing. And think about what those poor people lost in Katrina. EVERYTHING! Yeah, my measly little basement flood is nothing compared to that. I mean, it's better than the house burning down. Or somethig horrible happening to Trot. *Shock* Or Third Watch being cancelled. Oh wait...that DID happen. Curse you NBC!!!

There are always things that are way worse. And trust me, I'm counting my blessings.

Oh goody. This weekend's forecast...rain. *Rolleyes*

© Copyright 2006 Texun4ever-cabin fever (UN: abrackett at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Texun4ever-cabin fever has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/464610-What-a-week-Im-having